failed plugin installation, now /admin stuck on "Server checks"

failed plugin installation, now /admin stuck on "Server checks"

by Martin Kirk -
Number of replies: 8

Hi All,

I help to maintain a site running Moodle 3.11.4+ (Build: 20211123).

One of our admins has tried to install a plugin which requires PHP 7.3 and we are currently using 7.2.

Switching PHP to 7.3 completely killed the site so we switched back to 7.2 

Now, when an admin logs in they just get the "Server Checks" page which says at the bottom "You must solve all the ... problems ... before proceeding" but, switching PHP version is not an option and there is no 'cancel' or 'abort' option.

How does Moodle know it's part way through a plugin installation, and how can I convince it to give up?

Thanks,
Martin.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Kirk

Re: failed plugin installation, now /admin stuck on "Server checks"

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Take it that when you upgraded php you restarted apache ... ditto on down grading again.

And - purged cache?

What does the server/environment check throw checks or reds upon?

From CLI one could cd /path/to/moodlecode/admin/cli/ and run:

php checks.php - which is the same thing as the web based environment check.

What does that show?

The plugin ... you could find the plugin directory and move it out to some place else.

Then visit plugins to see that it shows missing from disk.   Go ahead and click the 'update' button as that will clean up DB tables ... mdl_config_plugins + whatever tables that incompat plugin was going to or did attempt to install.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ken Task

by Martin Kirk -
Hi Ken,

At no point did I restart the webserver, I was confident that that wasn't the issue in this case.
I did purge all caches, it made no difference. Again, not the issue in this case.

I couldn't find the plugin folder because the teacher/admin that installed it had removed it before I was called in an attempt to fix it himself (he won't ever install a plugin on the production server again!).

You said "Go ahead and click the 'update' button as that will clean up DB tables ..."

*That* was the fix in this case.

Many thanks for coming to the rescue (again!)

Cheers,
Martin.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Kirk

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Go into your moodle code folder, find the plugin folder and delete it.  Then it should refresh and be fine.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Martin Kirk -
Hi Emma,

That was my initial thought but as you'll see in my response to Ken above I needed to 'reload database' to clear the blockage.

Regards,
Martin.
In reply to Martin Kirk

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
According to https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_3.11_release_notes#Server_requirements rel. 3.11 needs PHP 7.3 at a minimum.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Martin Kirk -
Hi,

Well, we were definitely running 7.2 !!

It turned out that the upgrade to 7.3 only broke the site because we had a different set of PHP modules enabled for 7.3, after enabling additional modules we are now running on 7.3.

Regards,
Martin.
In reply to Martin Kirk

by Carlos Henrique -
We had the same problem here sometime ago

The solution was:
Delete plugin directory inside mod directory in your server (/your/moodle/directory/mod/plugin-name-directory ex: /var/www/html/moodle/mod/plugin-name-directory)
and clear caches from CLI (if you have access to your server console) php /your/moodle/directory/admin/cli/purge_caches.php

Good luck!
In reply to Carlos Henrique

by Martin Kirk -
Thanks Carlos,

In this case we needed the additional step suggested by Ken to clear the database.

Regards,
Martin.