collapsible panel in Moodle 4 does not work properly

collapsible panel in Moodle 4 does not work properly

per Frederik Evans,
Number of replies: 9

I have a plugin with a series of collapsible panels, it works fine in versions 3.10 or 3.11 however, in version 4 it does not. when expanding a panel instead of opening the panel as you would expect, it appears to automatically close the panel of the course. Can someone give me some pointers how to get round with this bug. below is how it appears in 3.10

if i open the first one

however, in Moodle 4 it does some wierd behaviour...it willl close the section, what i would expect to see is that topic 1 section will remain open to expose the expanded panel

Average of ratings  -
In reply to Frederik Evans

Re: collapsible panel in Moodle 4 does not work properly

per Mark Johnson,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Peer reviewers Avatar Plugin developers

What is the plugin where you are seeing this behaviour?

Average of ratings Useful (1)

per Ken Task,
Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers

Is that Collapsible Topics Format plugin/addon?

this one: https://moodle.org/plugins/format_collapsibletopics/versions

shows compatibility up to 3.9.x of Moodle core.

Guess you could contact maintainer of plugin and inquire about when a 4 version will be available.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

per Frederik Evans,
No, its a plugin that uses Bootstrap collapsible panels. I think it maybe a problem with bootstrap 4 and moodle 4.

per Andrew Lyons,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Peer reviewers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers
Hi Frederik,

Can you show us the source of this plugin? I would guess that something in your code is causing the parent leements to be triggered. Without seeing the code or a live course, we can't give more advice.
In reply to Ken Task

per Juno Sprite,
My issue was that the menu just wasn't appearing, but for me, Collapsible Topics Format plugin was causing the issue, so I just went to course settings page, and in the "Course format" section, and I changed the Format from "Collapsible Topics format" to "Topics format". That resolved it for me. Now I just have to do that for the other 50 courses....

per Justin Hunt,
Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers
If you use Jqueryui then it will break the collapsible dock. Jqueryui tabs and accordians are good examples. I went through and removed Jqueryui from all our plugins. And just left it in 1 or 2 places. It was mentioned here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-74459
In reply to Justin Hunt

per Marcus Green,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers
To confirm Justin's comment, JQuery UI can break a lot of things in Moodle 4.0. That is not a criticism Moodle 4.0 as devs have been encouraged away from it for quite a while.

per Andres Montano,

I had a similar problem. Finally figured out that the problem is that there was an external JS that included:

"require(['jquery', 'jqueryui']..."

And that created an annoying JS bug wherever I collapsed various parts of the page.

Similarly to what Justin and Marcus were suggesting, I had to get rid of jquery-ui leaving only "require(['jquery']..." and replacing all jquery-ui calls with native JS or jquery calls. After doing this all collapsable sections worked again.