Grid Format for Moodle 4.0

Grid Format for Moodle 4.0

by Christophe MATHIEU -
Number of replies: 7

Hello Gareth,

is there a version of Grid format for Moodle 4.0 ? If not, do you plan to update it ?

Thanks

Christophe

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Christophe MATHIEU

Re: Grid Format for Moodle 4.0

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Christophe,

Thank you for your question. There is currently no version of the Grid format for Moodle 4.0 or one in development. From my experience in upgrading Collapsed Topics with the course format API changes, I discovered that the effort required is substantial, at least 2+ days, and this for me 'unpaid' is too much. Therefore unless supported financially, then the M3.11 version will be the last from me. Due to the forum rules, I could not make such a statement here as an initiating post, however as this is a reply to a question, then I can. I did hint at this (as I'm allowed to) in the support information with the format -> https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-format_grid/blob/master/Support.md#the-grid-format-story.

Kind regards,

Gareth
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Willi W -

Dear Gareth,

How can someone pay you for developing/update the Gridformat for Moodle 4.x?

Greetings

In reply to Willi W

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Willi,

Thank you for your reply. Since writing the reply things have changed and I've looked extensively into the nature of the upgrade in combination with the new course format API, and discovered that I need to upskill in order to make sense and fully understand the processes involved, combined with the inevitable consequence of time and the progress of software development architectures to consider all the possibilities that entails to a project that has evolved and been maintained over many years from its original conception. Therefore, it is no longer a case of X number of hours will result in an upgrade. To answer your question specifically, simply reach out to me and initiate a confidential discussion by eMail.

Kind regards,

Gareth
In reply to Willi W

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
As an alternative, there is a Tiles format, which works well and is available in 4.0. I installed it on my test site and applied it to a course I had created in Grid and it was perfect--if you use images in Grid, you will have to redo them, if you switch. As a bonus, I like the way Tiles displays sections better than Grid (and I generally liked Grid).
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Nina O'Reilly -

Hi everyone. I was wondering if it's still the case that there's no grid plugin available for Moodle 4.0/4.1? We don't have Moodle 4.1 at my institution yet so I'm trying to gauge what's possible. Many thanks!