Logged in but want to view pages

Logged in but want to view pages

by Stephanie D'Silva -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

I've searched the forum and read many answers regarding a user already logged in and wanting to look at other pages without enrolling into the course, but it doesnt look easy.

Is there a way to bypass that page on certain pages that should be accessed by everyone? Someone gave a line of code to put in the link, but I don't know where that link is!

What I'm after works with the enrolment key and allowing guest access by pressing the guest button, but that shouldn't have to happen to look at the Library's page!! It's a page, much like the main page, that needs to be seen by everyone, once logged in.

If anyone has suggestions, please help!

Thanks in advance!
Stephanie
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephanie D'Silva

Re: Logged in but want to view pages

by Steve Hyndman -
Stephanie,

What you are asking for is a much needed feature that has been discussed before, but to my knowledge, there has been no workable solution. See the thread at the link below for a discussion on this topic....see my post in this thread for examples of how adding the line of code solves one problem, but causes another.

There is a real need for a solution to this problem.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=24499

Steve
In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Stephanie D'Silva -

I have actually read that post and &confirm=1 is the piece of code i was talking about.

I used it but it and it does bypass the enrolment screen but adds the course to My Courses.

We might just have to go with Enrolment Keys til the facility is available.

Thanks!

In reply to Stephanie D'Silva

by Eduardo Domínguez Vázquez -
Hi Estephanie,

If you only need to access a file (html, gif, pdf...) without any control or log from moodle you can do the following steps:

- Your site is www.yoursite.com കണ്ണു ചിമ്മുക
- Choose a "public" directory inside the course (in fact inside any course). This directory can be created by the teacher:

$HOME/moodledata/course1/public

- Define a VirtualHost (xyz.yoursite.com) whose DocumentRoot is:
$HOME/moodledata

- Define a ProxyPass (and/or ProxyPassReverse) to change the following URL:

www.yoursite.com/public/course1/ to
xyz.yoursite.com/course1/public

or something generic as:

www.yoursite.com/public/* to
xyz.yoursite.com/*/public

- You must configure apache to not to send the new URL to the browser, so the browser beleaves It's still in www.yoursite.com

So, if the teacher uploads the file "test.hml" in the following directory:

$HOME/moodledata/course1/public/test.html

he has to add a link (in a moodle page or anywere) to point to:

www.yoursite.com/public/course1/test.html

The apache server will do the rest of the job പുഞ്ചിരി

I know I'm not concise and there should be a better way to do this, but I don't like to add/modify php code that need to be maintained later or linked to a moodle version.

Hope this help.

Ciao.