Introducing the LearnR theme for Moodle 4

Introducing the LearnR theme for Moodle 4

ved Chris Kenniburg -
Antal besvarelser: 93
Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers

LearnR Theme Details

Moodle 4 introduces amazing new features, layouts, and user experience improvements.  LearnR builds on this design and brings a clean full-width user experience to Moodle.  Each page is consistent and full width.

Features

• Full width page layouts
  • Quick Recent My Courses drop down menu (Limited to 7 most recent courses) to the right of the course title
  • Hide Course Index Drawer option
  • Hide Block Drawer option
  • Three Marketing Tiles with text, image, and icon capabilities for styling
  • Activity page navigation menu can be toggled on, display at top, display at bottom, or off
  • Three column "Course Dashboard" collapsible block panel
  • Three column footer block panel at the bottom of the page
  • Color choosers for all key elements of the page including:
    • Navbar colors : Primary and Secondary
    • Bootstrap key elements
    • Activity icon sets
  • Alert Messages
  • Frontpage Textbox for Dashboard
  • Quiz and Book activities display their blocks on the page outside of the Block Drawer for improved usability
We are just getting started with a very clean and minimalist theme for Moodle 4.  This will be our successor to Fordson as we look to a new era in Moodle design with the release of Moodle 4.0.  We've spent a little bit of time getting a foundation ready to build upon.  Our preferred layout removes both the Course Index and Block side drawers and puts all content front and center for the learner.  We provide one collapsible block area at the top of the page where you can add blocks and customize the background image to add flair to the page.  We envision teachers using this area to provide relevant blocks for assignments etc.  At the bottom of the page is a three column footer block section that can be populated with less important blocks if needed. 

Feedback and suggestions are welcomed. 

https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_learnr

https://github.com/dbnschools/moodle-theme_learnr

Bilag Experimental-Design.png
Gennemsnitsbedømmelse:Useful (5)
I svar til Chris Kenniburg

Re: Introducing the LearnR theme for Moodle 4

ved Gareth J Barnard -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers

Hi Chris,

I've not installed the theme, but glanced at some of the code and:

• Unused 'use' statements in the core renderer, such as 'use pix_icon'.
  • In the core_renderer, $OUTPUT and $this are one and the same reference to the object, so you don't need to use the $OUTPUT global, and $PAGE as you've used in places can be $this->page, and I think $COURSE can be $this->course.
  • In the settings, you are resetting the theme cache for every setting (I think), do they all need the the SCSS / CSS to be regenerated when their value changes?
  • Can the JS be AMD modules?  Or even ES6 ones?  I'm still learning the latter though, so on my TODO list too.... or even embedded in the appropriate Mustache template?

That's what I've spotted for now, could be more and a twitchy nose thinks some of the 'require_once's can go because of class autoloading.

Kind regards,

Gareth

I svar til Gareth J Barnard

ved Chris Kenniburg -
I'll take a look at the use statements. I just copied from Fordson as I was originally going to try and replicate most if not all of that functionality but really scaled everything back.

Thanks for explaining $this->. I can clean that up too.

The cache clean is definitely overkill. I'll take a look at what needs to clear cache.

As for the JS, I'd have to setup that and look for a future release to include amd modules. For the one js file it seems a bit overkill but I'll take a look at setting all that up.

ved Emma Richardson -
Billede af Documentation writers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers
So I started playing with this. In Gareth's Foundation theme I was able to hack the config file to put his courseend block region on the front page (one word in one line - very simple!) - I tried to do the same thing with yours but it sadly didn't work - any clues on where to look first? Is it because you really don't have much to change on the front page so you haven't actually overwritten anything there meaning that any changes I try in the config file actually have nowhere to apply? I searched for a layout or class for the frontpage but couldn't find anything related on first look through...
I svar til Emma Richardson

ved Gareth J Barnard -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers
Dear Emma,

RE: 'courseend'.

Beneath every line of code is an iceberg that supports it. Search the Foundation code for 'courseend' to see what I mean.

G

ved Emma Richardson -
Billede af Documentation writers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers
Yes, I have looked through quite a bit of that - for now I have it working which really is the end game so I am pretty happy~!

ved Chris Kenniburg -
Hello Gareth,
I cleaned up the code as suggested and published v1.1. Getting the AMD modules will take some time. That'll be next on my list. I'll be continuing to look over the code. I removed the "requires" too in version 1.2. I am still testing. I want to add a couple more features before pushing version 1.2.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
Chris

ved Luiggi Sansonetti -
Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers Billede af Testers
Hi Chris

Not yet tested but very soon

Just a little feature, add the assign timer block too like quiz to have it always visible.

And why not a better css for course tiles in category view grand sourire

But the official plugin (your contrib) will be checked soon 😉
I svar til Luiggi Sansonetti

ved Chris Kenniburg -
I'll have to see about the assignment timer. I've not tested that new feature to see it in action.

ved Chris Kenniburg -
Hello Luiggi,
We've really tried to strip things down. I had intended to copy and paste much of what was in Fordson but we are changing direction too as a school district in how we approach an LMS with new requirements such as rostering of courses and users. With this new approach we plan to utilize the new "My Courses" page almost exclusively as a start page and will try to hide any references to course listings as everything will be rostered for the learner. This is a break from our previous thinking of letting each teacher operate courses independently and manage all the rostering/enrollment.

Version 1.3 I just uploaded has better copyright credit for the timeaccesscompare function I copied.
Gennemsnitsbedømmelse:Useful (2)

ved Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Chris,

No worries.  I'm intrigued by:

$activitynav = new \core_course\output\activity_navigation($prevmod, $nextmod);
        $renderer = $this->page->get_renderer('core', 'course');
        return $renderer->render_from_template('theme_learnr/core_course/top_activity_navigation', $activitynav);

as the core course renderer method 'render_activity_navigation' won't be called to render the activity navigation and you're passing the object of the activity_navigation class to the context of the template to be rendered and not the output of the export_for_template method?  So I wonder how it actually works?  And if you're doing it this way, why you're not just using '$this' as the core renderer is also a renderer that inherits from a class that has the render_from_template method, just like the core course renderer.  And... also given the similarity with the other activity navigation method, why you've not refactored with code reuse and to save maintenance costs with only one set of logic and a relatively simple logic to distinguish between the two, i.e. a new generic private / protected method with a parameter or more and then two much smaller calling methods (the ones you have now)?

And... some of the code seems 'familiar' ;), will you be adding credits to where it came from?

G

ved Chris Kenniburg -
The core renderer for the activity navigation only displays if the course index is not used. We also wanted more control where it displays and the top navigation required a separate template. I suppose over time we could look at other ways of doing it.

ved Dan Marsden -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Peer reviewers Billede af Plugin developers Billede af Plugins guardians Billede af Testers Billede af Translators

some of the code seems 'familiar' ;), will you be adding credits to where it came from

Gareth - can you please report more details on that into the github tracker? - it's the sort of thing that would block a plugins db approval - thanks!

I svar til Dan Marsden

ved Chris Kenniburg -
It's been addressed with a notice on the plugin page and a derivative notice in the code.

ved Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Dan and Chris,

The specific commit to reference is https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/commit/8650738efca29c3ce2a4f997dfbe19e2d76dd89a so you can tell what is a copy and what is derivative. I've also raised a GitHub issue (https://github.com/dbnschools/moodle-theme_learnr/issues/2) for clarification discussion as the notice states 'derivative' and yet the 'timeaccesscompare' static method is a copy.

Kind regards,

Gareth

ved James Asante -
Hi Chris,
How do I get the zip plugin file to upload? It seems the link provided to the plugins page is not found.
trist
Sorry, we have not found such plugin. Maybe it does not exist. Or it has been deleted, temporarily disabled, or you do not have permissions to view it.

Regards,
James
I svar til James Asante

ved Chris Kenniburg -
It is not yet approved but will eventually as we work through any code changes. The GitHub link does contain all the code.
I svar til James Asante

ved Chris Kenniburg -
Sorry James,
I missed your post somehow. If not comfortable with GitHub it might be best to wait for it to make it into the plugin repository. It's in review and it's giving me a chance to clean up the code too.
We are also adding in more features daily to further refine it.
We are under pressure to get this theme done so that we can build out our relaunch of Moodle for our district.
One key thing we haven't done yet is fully implement some of the parent/mentor features. That will come as we get a fuller picture of capabilities and plugins we've kinda already started for a parent role.

ved Chris Kenniburg -
I'll just say, initially we were thinking that the drawers on the sides would be distracting for k-12 - and they might still be for younger learners - but it appears that older students in high school might really like them. It's not scientific, but I asked my kids to complete some tasks and watched where and what they did with the screen cursor and where they focused to look for things. Surprising, they opened the side drawers as if prompted to do so but avoided opening up the "course dashboard" because that was located where they expected course materials to be. It was also mentioned that having the activity navigation at the bottom was a bonus because while they might use the course index to navigate for major jumps, once they are in the right area and into activities they preferred to hide it and work full screen. Clicking the next item from the bottom of the page was quicker and more intuitive than opening up the course index again.

I think in our building LearnR we are taking into account 5yrs old to 18yrs old and that is an impossible task due to how drastic their capabilities change during these years. A 7 year old might benefit from removal of drawers but a 15+ year old might be frustrated by lack of quick navigation.

This is a balancing act we face in K-12. It looks like 2 themes might be needed to accommodate this and allow our teachers to choose between elementary or secondary theme layouts. This is also the approach many of the other LMS's are taking where they develop a more elementary looking portal for k-5 and their normal product for 6-12.

I'll have to get more feedback. Moodle 4 has so many new features it's hard to predict how we should be launch this new upgrade to our users. We started this with just knowing that the page width must be consistent and full width. Now it seems we might not get one size fits all approach. I think we will have an elementary experience and secondary experience.
Gennemsnitsbedømmelse:Useful (3)

ved Michael Gerszewski -
Chris,

Great work on LearnR. We're going to dig in more this summer, but here are some initial thoughts on drawers and various grade levels. I agree that primary and even upper elementary grades probably benefit from a more streamlined appearance to more easily navigate. Would there be a way to have a course-level or user preference as a part of LearnR to hide some of the more distracting elements? Then you wouldn't have to maintain multiple themes that are very similar, just change a course setting. We could possibly accomplish this with snippets and styles/css in a label, but it wouldn't be as obvious to a course designer on how to use something like that.

One item we use heavily, especially in grades 3-5 in our MOOCs, is the Completion Progress block. It is a quick and easy way for a learner to see a compact overview of what is done, what needs to be done, and what needs to be redone (if they don't have a "passing" grade yet). It would be great if there was an area that could have always visible blocks, but not take up too much screen real-estate.

Another interesting thought, although I don't know if the theme framework supports it, would be the ability to put blocks in a topic. Then visibility could possibly be scheduled based on the topic visibility and be embedded within the topic flow of the course.

Keep up the good work!

Mike
I svar til Michael Gerszewski

ved Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Chris,

I've often found that to find a bug in a plugin is to release it, so I've spotted the attached on your screenshot in the plugins DB.

G

Bilag Course-Small-Demo-Course.png

ved David Le Blanc -
I have a similar issue on the home page where users (not logged in) select their interface language (French, Canadian French, English ). This also appears in black text which is not enough contrast to read.

However, once logged in everything looks perfect. The current page appears in white text while the other menu options are in grey.

I cannot locate know where to change the text from black to light grey in the language selector/nav bar for non-logged on users on the home page. 
I svar til David Le Blanc

ved Daniel Méthot -
Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers
Bonjour,
Chez moi, avec les couleurs par défaut de LearnR, j'obtiens ceci:
LearnR

Daniel
Gennemsnitsbedømmelse:Useful (1)
I svar til Daniel Méthot

ved David Le Blanc -
Thanks for your suggestion Daniel. I should have specified that we're using Moodle 4.2+ (Build: 20230504). We also uninstalled our Learnr theme and did a clean install as suggested. I cleared the themes cache as you suggested but it didn't resolve the issue. Chris' response to Garth's issue at the start of this thread suggests that it should be an "easy fix". I am not sure if it's something I can do from my side or if an adjustment needs to be made at the theme code level. I wonder if I am able to inject something in the Raw SCSS under the theme presets. I don't have extensive knowledge of CSS.

ved David Le Blanc -
I am a novice when it comes to CSS but I managed to change the colour of the displayed language in the navbar for non-logged in users by adding the following:

This has fixed my language display issue; however, I am unable to change the colour of the caret object from black to the light grey as shown below:

I can see that the class is labelled class="caret" in this context but adding:
.caret {

color: #ced4da;

}

as I did above does not access the caret object.  Does anyone know what I might add to the Raw SCSS access it? 

ved Gareth J Barnard -
I suspect its in the pseudo selector part, so look in the ':before' and ':after'.

ved David Le Blanc -
Thank you Gareth and Rick. With my limited CSS knowledge, I'm not there yet, but I'm making progress. 😉👍

ved Rick Jerz -
Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Testers
A while ago, I gave some MoodleMoot presentations about using CSS. These were way back with early versions of Moodle 3. However, for your education, they might provide you with some insight.

I svar til Rick Jerz

ved David Le Blanc -
Thanks for sharing this Rick. Along with your posted resources I found your video « Play video "MoodleMoot2017_Boost"   » very useful.  😉👍

ved Fa Ahmed -
Can we use the plugins from Fordson in the Learnr theme, and will the background image integration be the same in the Learnr theme as well?

ved Rick Jerz -
Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Testers
I don't use LearnR, but in Boost, I do the following:

.navbar.fixed-top {
background-color: cyan !important;
}

ved Nepal B -
I used this one:

.navbar.fixed-top .usermenu .dropdown .dropdown-toggle, .navbar.fixed-top .langmenu .dropdown .dropdown-toggle {
color: #bfbfbf;
}
I svar til Nepal B

ved David Le Blanc -
Thank you so much Nepal. That did the trick! I could not find how to affect the colour of the dropdown caret character. Your code hit the spot perfectly! 🤩👌
I svar til Michael Gerszewski

ved Chris Kenniburg -
Mike ,
We are working on some things and maybe some future videos explaining where we are going with the theme might help. As site admin you can enable all the normal features of Boost including returning to narrow width layout. A user choice would be interesting to try and accomplish but I do not believe it is possible.

ved Daniel Méthot -
Thanks Chris for your great plugins.
Fordson, Rebel, easy enrol ... are my favorites.
Congratulations on LearnR !
Daniel

ved Luiggi Sansonetti -
Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers Billede af Testers

Hi Chris

Just for information, this great theme is now official 😁👍

https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_learnr

Congrats 👏

ved Chris Kenniburg -
Thanks! I was just updating the theme description. I hope people enjoy it. We are really excited to launch Moodle 4 for ourselves.

ved Cord Hockemeyer -

Hi Chris,

I was wondering whether/how it is possible to change the footer (of all pages), especially to include a copyright notice and acknowledgements.

Thanks for the nice theme,
     Cord

ved Chris Kenniburg -
With LearnR I am working on bringing back the Course Category Styling from Fordson where there are roughly 10 different ways to display courses within a course category. I know Luiggi was interested in Style #2 and you will see that in the video. Still working on it but it will soon be a feature.

In the video below I go through several of the course category styles that were available. These would be how your course category display gets styled.

https://watch.screencastify.com/v/dYoxdFiBtjKTUOecI24C
Gennemsnitsbedømmelse:Useful (4)

ved Chris Kenniburg -
Along with the course category display options, we will also display a Course Completion Progress bar at the top of the courses if appropriate.
This will appear above the course image if using that element of the layout. See the attached image for what will be displayed.
Bilag Course-Small-Course-Template (8).png

ved Randy Thornton -
Billede af Documentation writers
Nice, that;s a good place for it. The above view is the Teacher view, since it has the secondary nav, yes?

I wonder if you get any complaints from Teachers about the fact that this number for them is always inaccurate. I have always rather thought it would be better is the Teacher roles never had any activity completions at all. They are functionally meaningless after all. But then the issue comes up of how to test them using Switch role. Not sure of the solution to this....

ved Ricardo Caiado -
Hi, Chris.

What is the image file type used in course "Charara 8th Grade US History"?

Ricardo
I svar til Ricardo Caiado

ved Chris Kenniburg -

It's just an animated GIF image.  Pretty cool huh!  

We've had other teachers use animated waving flags for US history and stuff like that.  

As we get more comfortable with Moodle 4 we might further integrate design changes that make for a more smoother appearance and use of these images.  

The LearnR theme will get better and better as we look to solve problems and enhance experiences in Moodle.  

The next release will bring back category course display options to pick from 10 different layouts.  We also have a course completion bar to display on the course home page.  

ved Tanja B. -
Hi Chris,

I installed LearnR, and I really enjoy it. Thank you so much.

I am a lay person trying to make Moodle looking a bit nicer for our learners of a small Buddhist group. I changed the CSS for the Course Overview design in "My Courses" and "Dashboard" slightly and thought, it might be nice for others as well. You can see it in the screenshot. 

The codes I used are: 

/*Course Overview - Dashboard and My Courses*/

.drawers .block_myoverview>.card-body {
        padding: 1rem!important;
}

.editing aside.block-region {
    border: 0px solid #8c9488db;
    border-radius: 5px;
}

.card-deck {
    margin-right: 4px;
    margin-left: 4px;
}

.dashboard-card-deck .dashboard-card .dashboard-card-img {
    background-color: #373737;
}

.course-info-container {
    padding: .8rem;
    background-color: #8c94881c ! important;
    border-radius: 5px 5px 5px 5px;
}

.dashboard-card-deck:not(.fixed-width-cards) .dashboard-card {
    width:  calc(25% - 0.5rem);
    border: none;
}

.dashboard-card-deck .dashboard-card .dashboard-card-img {
    border-radius: 5px 5px 0 0;
    height: 10rem;
}

Bilag Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-10 um 12.02.46.jpg

ved Garth Brady -
I cannot express enough how much I appreciate Chris' work here. This is a truly fantastic theme.

Question: In the latest instance of Learnr, I don't seem to be able to use a course image other than as a background image. Previously, I could set course images to appear at the top of a course, but I don't seem to able to achieve this anymore. Am I missing something obvious? Would love to have this back for our teachers.

ved Tanja B. -
Dear Chris,

I do have a few questions as well:

1.)
Are you planning to add the possibility to change the Favicon? It was possible in Fordson, but I cannot find this option in LaernR.

2.)
Are you planning to add the possibility to custom the Login Page?
I enjoyed the Icons and Features a lot in Fordson. It was giving me the chance to add some information before people were signing in. For our purpose as a Buddhist group it was an amazing possibility.

3.)
Are you planning to exchange the "Site Administration" menu to an icon again instead of the written form? I just got used to the icon and like it blinker Not that it is really important blinker

4.)
I am also looking forward to the footer branding area. But I did not look into the footer three block panel yet. So; I am not sure, what I can do with that regarding copyright notice, terms & conditions, etc.

Thank you, Tanja
I svar til Tanja B.

ved Tanja B. -

Dear Chris, 

I am facing a small issue. If I am allowing to show the Block Drawer, it appears on the right side (not left like the description says). It also works great on the Admin pages. 

However, if I click on it in a course, it is not opening. Do you have any suggestion how to solve this? 

Thank you, 

Tanja

I svar til Tanja B.

ved Tanja B. -
and a short follow up:

If I am hiding the Block Drawer the Learn Course Dashboard is activated and runs smoothly in the courses. However, all my side blogs on the dashboard are in the main area than at the bottom, even so they are set to appear on the right.

ved Brad Nielsen -
Hi Chris, are there plans for a slideshow on the front page? I ended up copying the slideshow from the Academi into the LearnR theme but I'm seriously just hacking the code, so I doubt I have done a good job.

regards
Brad

ved Karen Lillywhite -
Hi Chris
I'd like to echo the sentiments of many in this forum and thank you for your work on both Fordson and LearnR themes.

I work for a university in Adelaide South Australia. We adopted Fordson 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. We are now on a path to upgrade to Moodle 4 in December this year, ready for the 2023 academic year, so we are reviewing themes again.

In Fordson we used the layout chooser settings to have "Default boost layout/Header Image in Topic Title Box" . This was an aspect of the Fordson theme that our teaching staff  really embraced adding Course Banners giving each topic their own identity and assisting all participants be aware which of their courses they are currently in. It would be an interesting change management exercise to turn around and say you cant have course banners next year in moodle4.

We have a moodle 4 environment which we have been using for testing and discovery of the new moodle 4 functionality and interface. We had LearnR  1.6 installed and were pleased to see that we could have topic banners, but then we have discovered like others in this discussion ( https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=433845#p1751772 ) that in version 1.7 of LearnR, you have moved the course image to being a background image.

Are you planning to introduce course layout options in LearnR as you did in Fordson to give choice of course layouts?

Additionally, earlier in this thread  (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=433845#p1747212) you mentioned a footer branding region was in your plans. Is this still something you are considering?

I svar til Karen Lillywhite

ved Chris Kenniburg -
We are in a waiting mode for Moodle 4.1. We want to see the design changes. To be honest, we have to get a full picture of what Moodle 4 and 4.1 will bring in terms of layouts and features. Our big fear in this is that we miss the mark by over-coding features that just clutter up the layout. Our focus and workflow for Moodle 4 is changing. We are looking at a wide range of things and so our theme and any additional plugins we might develop are up in the air right now.

We released LearnR as a base to explore some of our more common features but are not 100% settled on what features are absolutely needed for Moodle 4. Fordson looked drastically different in Moodle 3.2 than it did for 3.10+ because we had several years to refine it and perfect some of it's features. It's entirely possible we might completely re-write LearnR as we get more feedback.

To be perfectly honest, https://github.com/moodle-an-hochschulen/moodle-theme_boost_union Boost Union is an OUTSTANDING theme. It's a collaboration and well thought out feature set. I am very impressed with what they are implementing. I might try to submit some styling features to github or create Presets that might work best with their theme. I really loved seeing the work of Boost Campus and now Boost Union. Alexander Bias and team have a great theme on their hands.

ved Karen Lillywhite -
Hi Chris. Thanks for your response. Knowing your plans, we can now work out our direction.

I totally understand where you are coming from and agree about features that clutter up the layout. In fact, in the version 1.6 of LearnR, pretty much the only thing I enabled as the course image as the dashboard background.

ved Tobias K. -

Hi Chris, 

thank you for this learnR theme and your honest view at the moment.

I found your post only after putting two issues on github  https://github.com/dbnschools/moodle-theme_learnr/issues/21 and https://github.com/dbnschools/moodle-theme_learnr/issues/20. Instead of opening more issues there, I think it is wiser to write down some notes here. You might want to say "no" here immediately to anything as a feature request.

I will also look into Boost Union to see if I can resemble an adequate working environment for the teachers as well as an uncluttered navigational view for the students, but I would love to start from learnR and see a few things being tweaked or being optionally tweakable here.

My 2 cents after two days of looking into your theme:

• I love the idea of an uncluttered view for learners.
  • I love that you investigate how students use and/or miss the navigation.
  • I do not quite understand your post using "My courses" as a start page although I have the same view on rostering courses for the learners *and* the teachers as far as possible.

There are a few issues I have

• I cannot see any navigation drawer (on the left, I suppose) , not sure if this depends on the course format or some other mistake I made. I guess I could live without it (see below)
  • The breadcrumps navigation is weirdly there - or not in different courses or course categories, I could not figure out on what it depends.
  • I would love to see "My courses" being a drop-down menu again (as Brian posted earlier) even instead of the "recent courses drop-down". I think it is more obvious in the top navigation that inside the course pane.
  • I wonder if one can switch off the "My Home" as it is possible with the "Dashboard". I have no need for a "Home" if the startpage is the dashboard anyway. 
  • I think for some there is even no need for a Dashboard, iff the "My courses" were a drop-down box and there is a navigation drawer/drop-down for external links OR one uses "My courses" and navigational symbols 1-8 - as is probably your intention.
  • I really need an example to understand the "Learn Course dashboard" that you mention in the option "showblockdrawer"

I guess this thread will see more response the more are forced to move to Moodle 4 smiler

Thanks for your patience.

Tobias

I svar til Tobias K.

ved Emma Richardson -
I also wish we could get the My Courses dropdown back and also agree that the breadcrumb is very strange in that it jumps up two levels of category before you can click on anything - maybe it only pulls the top three?? categories and nothing more but very frustrating when you cannot just jump back to the actual category or subcategory that the course resides in. Otherwise, awesome work Chris, I am using LearnR on my student site currently.

ved UCHS Network -

If you recommend Union over LearnR for now I am willing to try it.  Do you have a suggestion for enrolling students into courses using Union.  All of our teachers and students are trained/Used to Easy Enrolements....

ved Fa Ahmed -
Please include a progress bar in the topic format regardless of which course topic format is selected, similar to the progress bar found in the collapsible topic format. 
It would be great if we could modify the background image of the course.

ved Brian Evans -
Hi Chris,

I would like to add my deepest thanks for all of your hard work. I am a high school teacher and have used Fordson for several years. I am thinking about upgrading to Learnr but there are a a couple of items missing that my students relied on heavily: breadcrumbs displayed everywhere, and the My Courses menu that had a drop-down list of the courses they were enrolled in. I would also love to be able to modify the layout of the dashboard page, or even just have some columns there.

Thanks again for sharing this with us. I look forward to watching Learnr develop into something as awesome as Fordson.

Best,
Brian
I svar til Brian Evans

ved Nepal B -
Dear Chris,

now where Moodle 4.1 is released, may I ask what are your thoughts about the further development of LearnR ?
I svar til Nepal B

ved Stefan Schoch -
I just recently upgraded my site from moodle 3.9 / Fordson to 4.1 / LearnR.
With some CSS adjustments it really looks great!
I definitely hope that development and maintenance of LearnR will be continued, it's such a beautiful and useful addition to Moodle 4.1!
I svar til Nepal B

ved Brian Evans -
Yes, please! Any thoughts about when the next release will be coming and what might be in it would be most welcome.

As I am sure many others are doing, I have been postponing major work on my site until I see what's coming in LearnR.

Thanks, and best wishes in the new year!
I svar til Brian Evans

ved Nepal B -

Dear Chris, 

are there any news you could share with us regarding LearnR? 

I svar til Nepal B

ved Chris Kenniburg -
Hello Nepal B.
I will say that in terms of a theme with powerful and useful features, hands down, the best one out there right now is Boost Union. I have a lot of respect for the developers and direction they are taking the theme. They have AMAZING features that directly help enhance the interface and functionality of Moodle. In that same breath, I will also say that the theme is still very much based on the look and feel of default Boost. That leaves much to be desired.
For our own launch of Moodle 4.1 we are looking at a fork that I created of Boost Union that takes all the features of this amazing theme and then I paid special attention to the styling and features we can't live without such as the Icon Navigation, styled course sections, tiled category course views, Latest Courses Drop down, removal of sidebars, etc.
Not quite sure on what the ethics are of rebranding a forked theme that you enhance. I am considering what it would take to rebrand this as a child theme of Boost Union but I also like the control of having a clone so that if they add in features we do not want we don't need to include those. Just some thoughts.

Attached is how much drastically different our enhanced Boost Union looks like.
Bilag Course-Small-Course.png

ved Nepal B -

Dear Chris, 

thank you so much for this detailed answer. I am not very familiar with what a "forked theme is". However, I relayed on your work for many years with our small Nepali e-learning Platform for Buddhist practitioners and was always happy.  

May I ask a few questions? 

Is it possible to install your fork of the Boost Union and try it out?  If so, how can I do it? 

And did you add into your fork by any chance your Course Category Styling from Fordson and LearnR? I am especially interested in Style #2, which I would not like to live without 🙈

If there is a way, I would very much appreciate to learn how to install your fork. 

Many greetings , 

Tanja

ved Alexander Shulman -

Chris,

First off - Thank you!  This is an Awesome theme!

Here's my question:
Is it possible to pass user profile fields in Icon Navigation?

Use case:
We are trying to set up a DIY Single Sign On of sorts that will permit our students to automatically log into a VM based on their email address and other fields from their user profile.
What we'd like to be able to do is to make is so that "Homepage Icon One" nav1buttonurl = ourVMsiteaddress/login?email=[user_email]&pass=[custom_user_field_1]

Is this at all feasible?

Thank you!

I svar til Alexander Shulman

ved Michael Gerszewski -
I'm not sure a theme can (or should) do this, but a filter plugin like FilterCodes may let you do that within a course label or description.
I svar til Alexander Shulman

ved Chris Kenniburg -
Yes, but you'd need to hack the function that builds the links for the icon navigation to pass those variables and build the url.

ved Richard van Iwaarden -
Dear Chris,

Many of us will be upgrading from 3.11 to 4.x this summer. Right now, and it took some time, I'm over the mourning proces of leaving Fordson. For Moodle 4 I was taking a look at LearnR. But... I also saw your post on the fork of Boost Union.

Which way to go now? Could you please keep us updated on what you are working on smiler

What are you going to do this summer, are you also upgrading to 4.x and what Theme will you be using in september 2023?

Thanks for all your contributions,

Richard.
I svar til Richard van Iwaarden

ved Luiggi Sansonetti -
Hi

I think Boost-Union IS the real good choice...

ved Daniel Méthot -
Hello,
Personally, I have regretfully replaced Fordson with LearnR as my main theme. Especially for the possibility of installing buttons in the dashboard header.
Thanks also for Rebel!
Daniel

ved Chris Kenniburg -
Hello All,
I'd like to just briefly explain our situation and where our Moodle development is at. At the launch of Moodle 4 we looked to make something that captured the core, key features our organization needed for Moodle with the LearnR theme. We are launching Moodle 4 this summer as well. We noticed that many of the features we wanted were implemented in Boost Union and a whole bunch more that we hadn't considered. We took a look at Boost Union and then added in our "must have" features and I don't think they would ever be considered for that theme. Development of Fordson was done by myself with help from a co-worker and since that time, I've taken a new position in our organization and do not have the time to be so intimately involved in developing a theme on my own.
So, we put LearnR out there as our first attempt at bringing some of the core features from Fordson over to the new Boost Moodle 4 UX and design. Around that time, Boost Union was also released and they really implemented other features that are top notch and very much in line with what we had envisioned. However, their mission and goal is to stay as close to Moodle core as possible and even the styling is left to core styling.
What we are thinking of doing is keeping in line with their releases as a fork of Boost union rebranded as LearnR. I don't know what the ethics of that is but we are taking what they have and bolting additional features and functionality on top of that for a more enhanced look and feel on top of all the base features and features we added from Fordson. What we have posted in our github for the fork is what we are using on all our Moodle 4 servers.
https://github.com/dbnschools/moodle-theme_boost_union

I am thinking of rebranding it and to continue the LearnR theme as this new fork. As I said, I am not sure the ethics of it all but it is what we are using on our servers. There are some other features we are cooking up but we like the styling we are able to achieve and the combined features. So, in short we plan to merge the features of Boost Union and LearnR to some extent.

ved Dan Marsden -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Peer reviewers Billede af Plugin developers Billede af Plugins guardians Billede af Testers Billede af Translators
the "ethics" side is completely fine - most theme plugins take inspiration from the core themes and often from each other - this is exactly what open source is all about! - just make sure you add a comment in the readme of the theme file to make it clear that you have taken significant inspiration from boost_union.

Of course - if you think the changes you are making might be useful for "all" boost_union users and not just in your custom theme you could send through Pull requests to the boost_union developer who may be interested in pulling those changes in - the more developers that do this against a single theme the stronger it becomes and more useful it will be for everyone!

ved Stefan Schoch -
Hey Chris,

thanks a lot for your explanation, which shines a positive light on where we're going and what to expect! 

Currently I'm running my (small) site on Moodle 4.1 with LearnR Theme and Edwiser course format. I'v been usinf Fordson and Edwiser on my 3.9 site before.
Now I'm really happy with the design and the functionality, I don't want to miss any of it.

That said: if there is any chance to get a supported version of LearnR for 4.1 upwards, that would be gorgeous! smiler

In the Boost_Union Readme it says:
"As a side note, it is quite easy to create a grandchild theme of Boost Union. That way, you can benefit from all the / only the Boost Union features you need, but you can also add additional local features or settings (that are not interesting as a pull request or feature request for the whole Boost Union community) to your local grandchild theme at the same time."

I read this as an explicit invitation to fork the new LearnR from Boost_Union.

Thank you so much for your great work and invaluable contribution!! 🙏

Stefan

ved Chris Kenniburg -
I'll be rolling our fork of Boost Union into the LearnR theme and put that out as the official Moodle 4.2 release for LearnR. I have it working right now on all our servers. There are a couple of things I need to fine tune because we weren't planning on sharing this. Some of our development assumes certain plugins are in use - bulk user upload and our Easy Enrol plugins. I put links to these plugins in the Course Dashboard menu. So, I'll need to clean some things up for a more general usage.

In the next couple of days I plan to put the finishing touches on and share it out as the Moodle 4.2 version of LearnR.

ved Nepal B -
that is amazing - thank you
I svar til Nepal B

ved Chris Kenniburg -
We have published the new version of LearnR.  I want to stress that you should uninstall the theme PRIOR to upgrading.  This is a brand new theme.  It is completely new and based more closely on the Boost Union theme with some amazing features added to it.

COURSE VIEW

Exercise caution when updating.  Please uninstall first and then install the LearnR theme cleanly.  

ved Brian Evans -
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing this. I can't wait to try it out.

How can we buy you a beer?

ved Fa Ahmed -
Hi Chris, 
Is it possible to implement dual login options on a single index page, where one option is for authenticated users and the other is for MOOC users who can make payments via payment gateways?

We are going to change from Fordson to LearnR this summer. But Chris, could you make it so that filtercodes work also in the Top (custom) Menu?

See here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=448412#p1802030

ved Chris Kenniburg -
I will take a look and see what I can do about this one for the top menu.

Hi Chris,
If you don't find time to to this, can you point me into the right direction? You once did this when I had the same question on Fordson. Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer so finding the correct line and file where alterations need to take place is a bit of a needle-haystack thing for me smiler

ved Andrew Markovic -
Hi Chris,

My organization will likely be using the LearnR theme when we move to Moodle 4.2.  I was wondering if it was possible to add or change items within the course management dashboard.  Is it possible to customize the course management dashboard?

Thanks for all your work, LearnR is looking really good!

Best Regards,

Andrew Markovic

ved Garth Brady -
Hi Chris,,

As a former Fordson enthusiast, many thanks for your wonderful Learnr theme.

In the latest edition of Boost, the Gradebook has been redesigned (which we're thrilled about!) but the vertical spacing between lines makes the gradebook somewhat ineffective for a number of our teachers as they can see only a very few students in their gradebook at one time. Thought you may be interested in the tracker here:
https://github.com/moodle-an-hochschulen/moodle-theme_boost_union/issues/382

Here are some sample screenshots of the 'Current Gradebook' vs a proposed more 'Condensed Gradebook' (but we feel functional) UI.  In our estimation, viewing all of your class' grades at once is the ideal, but viewing 50% is better than 15%.

Would love teacher's  thoughts on this!

ved Kim Woodruff -
Hello,

I noticed when I assigned the colors to the icons that the "Communication" items are not taking on the color assigned to that category.  Instead, they are taking on the "Collaboration" color.  I am able to make the change in the CSS, but thought you would want to be aware of this.

Also, wondering if the activity recategorization options for activities that is available in Boost Union can be added to this theme?  I love everything about LearnR theme, but I do miss that option.

Thanks!
Kim