Competency scale cannot be configured

Competency scale cannot be configured

by Jason Hollowell -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I noticed this issue in the forums here but the solution was to edit values directly in the database. Surely that cannot be the accepted fix for this issue so I'm posting an inquiry here. 

I have added a scale and would like to use it in a competency framework but Moodle will not allow me to configure the scale. (see attached screenshot) I've tried every combination I can think of but always get the same error. 

In fact, I noticed that the default "Separated and Connected ways of knowing" scale cannot be configured either. Notice the same error in the second screenshot where I have selected that scale and tried to configure it as well.

I must be missing something...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Hollowell

Re: Competency scale cannot be configured

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Scales must be created with at lease one Default and Proficient value.
Truthfully, the first items Not evaluated is not needed. Incomplete Competencies are displayed as "-"
It is better to create Scales with only a Complete or positive value.

Even if you require your teachers/admin to manually rate the competencies, the lowest value that can rate the student is the Beginner value and be deemed Proficient.

The Separate and Connected ways of knowing is a delivered Scale value - that cannot be changed.
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Jason Hollowell -
Shirley,

Thanks for the pointers here. I'll rework my customized scale but I'm not sure that really fixes my problem. With the Separate and Connected ways of knowing and my custom scale, I cannot use it in a competency framework. Adding the default Separate and Connected ways...or my custom scale results in the "This scale needs to be configured by selecting default and proficient items". No matter how I try to configure items I get that message. The only scale that works is the "Default competence scale".

This works

Ignoring the titles for the levels, this does not. I don't understand why...

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

I would have to read the Moodle documentation for it again, because I remember the "bad" scales I created in the beginning and their is no forgiveness when you create a bad scale.   This is a sample of what I have been using - 

If the "best" value is on top, it is less clicks if the teacher/administrator has to manually rate the competency for each student. 

As I learned, with a lot of pain the Not Yet complete is not needed, because the incomplete status is displayed for all non-earned competencies. 

Knowing what I know now, I would set your default to Beginner and also select that as Proficient. I would also select all the other levels as proficient.

I understand that within your organization the Export level is considered proficient, my understanding is that the different ratings is a one attribute for a students skills sets, and the value of Proficient is another attribute.  In your scale choices, the meaning of each scale value would be; proficient as a Beginner (can do Task A with supervisor), Proficient as a intermediate (Can do Task A with a mentee), proficient as Advanced (Can do Task A independently) and proficient as an Expert (Can Teach/Mentor/Supervisor other students doing Task A). 

Kind Regards

by Jason Hollowell -

Shirley,

Thanks again for your advice and patience. smile Unfortunately, I'm still lost. It doesn't seem to matter how I change the language of my scale to improve it...no matter what I do, Moodle won't let me select the scale in a competency framework because, it tells me, "The scale needs to be configured by selecting default and proficient items". I've modified my scale and tried using the settings you recommended but still get the same error. sad

It seems no setting with "Beginner" as default and others (all, a subset, or just one) works. If there is some logic present here it is eluding me. 

Regards

Jason

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Had to reread your post. In the Competency frameworks, go to the competency and select the Configure scales button. Even though you set-up a scale you need to select the values again within the competency framework.
It makes absolutely no sense why the competency doesn't just inherit the scale values, but it doesn't when you first create a competency and select a scale.
1. create the competency
2. select the scale
3. configure the scale
Kind Regards

by Jason Hollowell -
Shirley,

Thanks for your help here and my apologies for the silence. Unfortunately, I had to give up and try something else. The complexity and lack of intuitiveness (for me at least) prohibited me from accomplishing the desired behavior. Hopefully I can return again when I have time.

Regards
Jason