Values of Scales did not start with "0" regardless of aggregation methods

Re: Values of Scales did not start with "0" regardless of aggregation methods

by Leslie Johnson -
Number of replies: 1

I am experiencing the same issue. And I second all of these questions. The current way that Scales are working for us does not match MoodleDocs.

In reply to Leslie Johnson

Re: Values of Scales did not start with "0" regardless of aggregation methods

by Miiing L -
Hi Leslie, 

Thank you for replying to my post. I was reminded of this issue again last week and did some more research. Please see the attached image where I compared using Natural versus using Weighted Mean of Grades and Simple Weighted Mean of Grades. It seemed, at least in our Moodle, when being calculated towards the category total or the course total, Natural does mean the value starts with "1" when Weighted and Simple Weighted Mean start with "0". However, as you can see in my summary image, while the calculation is accurate, the display of the values is inconsistent across a few reports, which is why it has been confusing to me. 

I assume this may apply to your site as well. But just to double check, I suggest using "Percentage(Real)" as the option to display grades. It was the display of percentage that really helped me to realized the difference in display vs. actual calculation. I hope this helps!

Best,
Ming

FYI, based on my test, Natural starts with "1", while Weighted and Simple Weighted Mean, Mean of Grades, Highest Grades, Lowest Grades, and Mode of Grades all start with "0".
Attachment Untitled_2023-02-16_23-30-48.png