Additional line breaks and the editor doesn't show them

Additional line breaks and the editor doesn't show them

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I have additional line breaks in texts cut&paste in the editor from text processors:
This is the text shown in the source code:
<p>Ohne Kenntnis von<br />
geschichtlichen und politischen Zusammenhängen ist kein<br />
sachgerechtes Urteil möglich. Wie Menschen Gegenwart und Zukunft<br />

This is the same text shown in the editor in html-mode. No line breaks to see. Any idea what happens?

Attachment 1.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Additional line breaks and the editor doesn't show them

by Don Schwartz -
I've been going crazy with this too.  I just made a 4 paragraph post elsewhere and no matter what I do in WYSIWYG the paragraphs don't break.  I end up switching to html mode and adding in <p> to force the break.
<p>tongueout
There must be others with the same issue.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Ralf,
I'm puzzled by your message. You say that when you have text with lines ending with <br /> in the HTML source code you don't get any line breaks in the WISYWIG view. But your screen shot shows the contrary... the line-breaks are there all right: after von, after kein, after Zukunft, etc.
What else do you want exactly?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Robert Fant -
As I'm writing quiz questions I place line breaks between chuncks of information.  Everything looks good in the HTML editor.  However, when I preview the question, there are no spaces / linebreaks, all texts run together.

I've tried forcing this by placing <p></p> in HTML code mode.  This hasn't worked either.

Suggestions?
In reply to Robert Fant

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Robert,
Which question type are those quiz questions of yours? SHORTANSWER, MULTICHOICE, etc. ? Could you post a few examples of those questions?
Joseph

by Robert Fant -
So far I've tried multiple choice, short answer, and T/F.
Everything just runs together with no line breaks, even if I try to force them in the HTML mode.

In this example I'd like the question, the graph, and the answer(s) to be seperated by some white-space.

Attachment QuizQuest.jpg
In reply to Robert Fant

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Robert,
using Windows XP, Firefox 1.5, Moodle 1.6, formal_white theme, I have no problem whatsoever to introduce vertical spacing in my question display, using line breaks as shown in attached screen shot.
Joseph
Attachment image-0000.jpg

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Joseph,

sorry I didn't see your answer before.

Yes. In the code is an </br>. But the editor doesn't show it in the HTML mode.
In the original text from the text processor is no line break. In the HTML mode of the editor is no line break to see. But in the output is it. Why? Where did it come from? I can't work over all texts I use via cut&paste and make a visual control from the output for each line.

Ralf

by Mary Parke -
Hi Ralf,

We're encountering this problem too. We use version 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 (2 servers) and are experiencing Moodle either:

1) adding <br> to copied and pasted text but not showing them in the code view
2) when we manually edit them (remove these breaks) in the WYSIWYG view, they're still there (Moodle puts them back) - and even after we switch to the code view they're still there (even after saving our previously edited work).

Now, I realize if you copy and paste text from the web you pick up inherited coding - which we've edited. But then the Moodle editor goes and throws in <br> in middle of paragraphs or text just randomly. And, the Moodle editor often does not put in the </br> tags (another issue - it doesn't always close it's tags when working in the WYSIWYG editor and then viewing in the code view - they're not there).

And this isn't just in the quiz module. It's appearing in the Activity --> create a web page editor as well.

Basically, this is what my sys admin stated (and he knows what he's talking about):

"1. I paste HTML into the code view.
2. I update some little piece of text (e.g., a typo) in the GUI view.
3. The system REPROGRAMS my HTML and screws everything up."

And he uses BBEdit to copy and paste code to the Moodle GUI code view in the editor.

We haven't figured out a fix yet and believe it's a verifiable bug. We're searching for other users with similar problems to see if anyone has figured this out yet.

- Mary