How to fix and upgrade moodle after messy update attempt

How to fix and upgrade moodle after messy update attempt

by Danila Snetkov -
Number of replies: 2

My customer tried to update his moodle site from 3.4 to 3.11 skipping 3.6 and without backups, and he partially succeeded (his database says that he is on 3.11, his version.php is also new,  and some plugins are new, however Site Administration-> Notifications shows moodle version 3.4.1 ). But some plugins is stopped working and some functionality is gone, php server version is 7.0. I am tasked with getting everything to work, I am new to moodle and don't really comprehend how does his site is still running. What would be the best approach to fix this situation? For now I am trying to migrate site to my local machine inside the docker with php 7.4 , site falls on a lot of errors inside plugin classes, probably because I have not finished migrating moodledata folder (it is really heavy) and it barely works if I disable all plugins (at least some pages are accessible).  Is it better to start with fresh 3.11 moodle and to add database and plugins or I can not restore functionality this way cause there is something unexportable in moodledata folder ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Danila Snetkov

Re: How to fix and upgrade moodle after messy update attempt

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's not possible... The Moodle 3.11 code would have recognised 3.4 and refused to upgrade.

So what your customer told you isn't true or there is more to the story.

However, my assumption is that they haven't upgraded anything and simply restoring the code to 3.4 will improve things.