Child Theme Instructions for 4.0

Child Theme Instructions for 4.0

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hey theme gurus!  I took my first stab at creating a child theme using the instructions for 3.2 and later.   However, I am using these instructions on 4.0 RC1.

Was going along pretty well until I got to the part about bringing in the settings pages etc - I followed the duplicating settings from Boost part as I wanted my own settings to be applied, not Boosts.  I got the theme to still work after that but every change broke it until I did a purge all caches...I then added a couple of css changes which I have working very well in the boost theme and they worked for a while.  Then the site broke (lost all css) and I never could get it back.  

I am guessing the settings parts have changed enough that something crashed when I followed the instructions for older versions.  I am going to start again from scratch and try and be more careful about seeing where it started going sideways - but if anyone has thought about how 4.0 is going to affect child theme creation and wants to share any hints, that would be awesome!! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Child Theme Instructions for 4.0

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Emma,

Looking in /theme/upgrade.txt, there is nothing that has affected the settings in terms of overriding / child themes since M3.11. The thing is, that I've written and facilitate the Theme Design courses on MoodleBites (run by HRDNZ - a Moodle partner), which I have updated to M3.11 - and so would be a conflict of interest for me to help here along these lines, as I cover child themes / settings etc. And if I don't support a specific element, then I help the attendees / add a new section to the course.

Kind regards,

Gareth
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks Gareth - that helped anyway! Second attempt has gotten me a lot further!

by José Manuel De León -

Hello Emma, I have followed the steps to create a child theme based on boost/ (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Creating_a_theme_based_on_boost). But, I have not managed to place the background image of the login. Any idea how I could solve this?

In reply to José Manuel De León

by Emma Richardson -

I kind of gave up on this project for a while but do believe I got the login image working.  I have attached my theme in case that helps you.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by TJ Stubbs -
That is so helpful! Thanks for sharing your skeleton project. I tried starting from scratch going through the docs twice, but I just couldn't get a child theme to work. I kept getting a weird theme_config error. But as soon as I uploaded yours it worked.