Interaction between Grade calculations and Grade aggregation

Interaction between Grade calculations and Grade aggregation

by Jacques LeCavalier -
Number of replies: 0

We are using Moodle 3.9.11.

In one rather complicated Gradebook for a very large course, we are using Grade calculations qui a lot, in all of the grade Categories.

I wonder is someone could explain a bit the interactions between Grade calculations and Grade aggregation, as this is not documented anywhere, as far as I can tell.

For instance, I've noticed that when you add a Grade calculation to a Grade category, the Grade aggregation parameter disappears from that category's settings. That makes sense, I guess, since the calculation is an alternative way to "aggregate" the grades. However, if you choose a Grade aggregation method FIRST, say, Weighted mean of grades, and THEN add a Grade calculation for the category, you can still enter specific weights for each grade item in the category. However, if you visualize the User grade report for a user afterwards, those weights are no longer visible. They seem to be replaced by "0% (Empty".

Again, if someone can help me better understand how the Grade calculations and Grade aggregation work together, or don't work together, it would be much appreciated.

Jacques