one user different overrides at the same time

one user different overrides at the same time

by Francesc Anglada -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I would like to allow to one of my students different overrides for  different quizzes because, for example, he was ill for a long time, and now he is recovered, and he would like to make all delayed quizzes he has. It is too tedious to make an override for one by one, for each quiz, one at a time.

Is there any method to make an override for one student and for his different quizzes he didn't make them?

Thank you

Francesc

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francesc Anglada

Re: one user different overrides at the same time

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't think this is possible to do retrospectively. However, you could make it work in the future by using the Group override facility. Create a special group called "Medical Cert", and then add a Group override for this group in each quiz. The override settings should disable the open and close dates, but have a unique secret password, and only 1 attempt allowed (see screenshot below). Keep the list of override passwords for each quiz somewhere safe, and when a student needs to complete a quiz they missed, you just add them to the group, and send them the password for the quiz they missed.

In reply to Francesc Anglada

Re: one user different overrides at the same time

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
What you are seeking, Francesc, has been asked for in the past. As far as I know, this feature does not exist. Eoin provides some ideas using "groups" to make overrides for a group of students. But in your case, your focus appears to be making a bunch of changes for only one student.

So, the problem with "exceptions" is that they always take more time to manage. That good old 80/20 rule kicks in, 80% of your time could be managing exceptions, for example.

Your idea has merit, but as I think about it, the "logic" to do this could get quite complex. For example, you would probably want to use some kind of "offset," such as "give this student two extra weeks for all assignments." But "All?" Or "some?" And always two weeks, or sometimes three, four, etc? And some folks might say "for this student, every assignment is due on May 14th."

I am just trying to point out some of the complexity of doing "mass" changes.

You might want to search the Moodle Tracker system to see if someone has made this suggestion. If not, you can start one on your own. But make sure to provide as much logic as possible about how you see this feature being implemented, including the User Interface.