A two-level dictionary?

A two-level dictionary?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi all

I am new to the glossary/dictionary/filter landscape. Checked https://docs.moodle.org/en/Glossary_FAQ though without success.

I have added a glossary to a course and set it to type "Secondary glossary", "Allow comments on entries" and "Automatically link glossary entries". Now when I set auto-linking for a concept it gets highlighted. The mouse-over shows me the name of the glossary and the concept (again). A click shows me the concept on a pop-up.

This glossary is in fact a dictionary between two languages. I want the mouse-over to show me the "definition" which is the word for the concept in the other language. The click should bring a pop-up containing a longer text, like what it does now.

Is that possible?

I am using Moodle rel. 3.9.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: A two-level dictionary?

Found this post in the meantime: Re: Definition on hover. So, something not readily available in standard Moodle?

Anyway, to explain the idea by example:
- say the concept is "Betriebssystem"
- mouse-over should show "operating system"
- mouse click should bring "An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware, software resources, and provides common services for computer programs. (Wikipedia)" in a pop-up window
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Dave Sherwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I really like this concept - quick info on mouse-over while a click shows pop-up with definition.
Currently our glossary do display some basic info of the [Glossary Name: Entry Concept] which makes it helpful to find glossary items that should not be marked to Auto-linking. We use a Subject global glossary for each grade level standards which means 100s of Global Glossaries. These glossaries are very specific to standards identifiers, which very unique schemes that will not duplicate. So very little concern about duplicate entry item wording.
Our Moodle Admin isn't fan of hacks that he has to monitor each time we update. So that option doesn't work for us, but I see that mouse over does display [Glossary Name: Entry Concept]. This works because that information is in the glossary entry, but there is no field to enter 'other info'. I'm not a coder so not sure if this is possible, but if the Glossary activity had an additional field added 'other into' that could be added to the mouse-over [Glossary Name: Entry Concept: other info]?
Of course that would add an additional level of complexity to the glossary and more information to enter. However besides languages, I could see that being very useful for other terms. Plus the wait time for this feature on our site is less than a second, which is about the length of student's wait time.
Just my 2 ¢
Attachment MoodleGlossaryMouseOver.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dave Sherwin

Hi Dave

Thanks for looking in to this. Yes, adding an "other info" to the mouse over [Glossary Name: Entry Concept: other info] could be a nice compromise.

Anyway, the important information for me is that the Glossary activity does not have this function. My use case is that I am going to teach to a group in a local language. The course will be in that language. But the odd thing is, people are not familiar with the technical terms in their language, they need the English term. That is why I though of the English term as the "quick info", and the definition being longer. That would have been a luxury. Unfortunately I need to finish making the course pretty quickly. So I will proceed without this luxury.