Unwanted file upload by students through atto

by Florian Leupold -
Number of replies: 2

I would like to create an Assignment activity to which students must enter online text. I thought it would suffice to check "Online text" and uncheck "File submissions".

As it turns out, students are then still able to upload images and files through the atto editor. I do want to keep atto the default editor and upload images and files as a teacher. So is there a way to only prevent students to upload images and files via atto (in such an Assignment)?

Thanks for your help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Florian Leupold

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
If you use Quiz instead, Essay questions by default do not have "File Picker" enabled. This allows the student to use the full Atto toolbar but does not allow files or images to be uploaded. I think it may be what you are looking for. Grading quiz essays is different though than grading Assignments -- any feedback you leave will not be visible in the gradebook, so that's something to consider.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Unwanted file upload by students through atto

by Florian Leupold -
Thanks for your suggestion! I thought about that myself, but somehow I prefer using the task module for single tasks.

I, however, think I've found a solution. Inside the task activity, you can remove the permission "Use uploading in file picker" (repository/upload:view) for students (or authenticated users). And that actually prevents the students from uploading any new files.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)