Observer role - restrict Course completion, Activity completion to only group members

Observer role - restrict Course completion, Activity completion to only group members

by マルタ 高橋 -
Number of replies: 5

Hi

I'm trying to set up an "Observer" role for our clients to view only their employees' grades, activity completion and course completion reports. 

The role is based on the "non-editing teacher" archetype with almost all permissions set to Prohibit, including the "moodle/site:accessallgroups" for both the Observer and the Authorized user. The role can be set on User, Category or Course level.

I have created a group within the course, assigned the employees and the Observer to the group and assigned the role to the Observer. When I log in as the Observer, I still can see all students on the activity completion, course completion and grades reports...

Is there a setting I am missing?

Or is what I am trying to do not possible in Moodle?

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated!

I am using the Moodle Cloud with Boost theme

Average of ratings: -
In reply to マルタ 高橋

Re: Observer role - restrict Course completion, Activity completion to only group members

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
You want to take away the "Access all groups" moodle/site:accessallgroups capability, which allows roles to see all the course groups by default.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

Re: Observer role - restrict Course completion, Activity completion to only group members

by マルタ 高橋 -
Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion.
I have turned the Access All groups capability to "Prohibit", but there was no change - I could still see all the students, not just those in my group...

These are the capabilities I have switched to Allow:

Show links to offsite docs   moodle/site:doclinks
See user activity reports     moodle/user:viewuseractivitiesreport
View course category and courses within it    moodle/category:viewcourselist
Use Excel grade export   gradeexport/xls:view
View the grader report   gradereport/grader:view
Export grades   moodle/grade:export
View own grades  moodle/grade:view
View grades of other users  moodle/grade:viewall
View reports    moodle/site:viewreports
View user profiles   moodle/user:viewdetails
View course completion report report/completion:view
View activity report  report/outline:view
View user activity report report/outline:viewuserreport
View activity completion reports  report/progress:view
View a custom certificate mod/customcert:view
View course report mod/customcert:viewreport
Always see full names of users moodle/site:viewfullnames
See full user identity in lists moodle/site:viewuseridentity
View block moodle/block:view

In reply to マルタ 高橋

by Randy Thornton -

" have turned the Access All groups capability to "Prohibit", but there was no change - I could still see all the students, not just those in my group..."

Make sure that your course is set to use Separate groups in the course settings > Group mode. Without that, the groups are not being enforced.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by マルタ 高橋 -
Thank you! That saved the problem.
I had turned on the overall course settings to separate groups, but not the settings in individual courses....
In reply to マルタ 高橋

by Randy Thornton -
You are welcome. I'm glad that is working smile