Override course completion for student after it has been locked.

Override course completion for student after it has been locked.

by Steve Hardwick -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

We have course with a quiz activity that requires a pass grade and that quiz activity is checked as the course complete in the course competition settings. The quiz was using the SEB. We had a late student who for reasons (chromebook) cannot use the SEB so we set up a seperate hidden quiz activity for that student. 

He passed the quiz but the problem is we have restrictions for future courses based on that course being completed (as specified in the course completed settings). I now have the dilemma of the course completion settings being locked and if I unlock to add the new quiz activity as indicating the course complete also I will lose all the data for the other students.

I need to override the course complete for that one student. There might be a simple override somewhere to mark that student as completing that course but I cannot see how to achieve this.

Assistance would be appreciated.

All my best
Steve
Moodle 3.11

Attachment Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 12.03.05 am.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Hardwick

Re: Override course completion for student after it has been locked.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well how about, instead of trying to override course completion for everybody, going in to the activty completion report (not the course completion report) and manually marking as complete/passed the original SEB quiz (since you know he passed it) and then he can complete the course in the usual way like the others? See Activity completion report.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steve Hardwick -
Thank you Mary,

The activity itself, the non SEB quiz (this student is the only one with access to this version of the quiz), the student passed and met the completion for that activity. But as that activity was not checked at the course level as a measure of completing that whole course (course 1 in eg below) they cannot move further, cannot access the next course (we have restrictions on all the activities).

So it comes back to overriding the course completion and being able to manually tick that one student as completing that course (course 1 in eg below).

The structure:

Course 1 - only "activity quiz" checked as completing course - needed to have had "activity same quiz but non SEB" as well checked but isn't.
  • activity
  • activity
  • activity quiz
  • activity same quiz but non SEB

Course

• activity 1 restricted must complete course 1
  • activity 2 restricted must complete activity 1
  • activity 3 restricted must complete activity 1

I hope the structure helps.

In reply to Steve Hardwick

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Steve. I still think what I suggest would work. Do not look at the course completion report. Consider the activity completion report instead. Go to the course 1 and access Course administration >Reports>Activity completion report. You will see the activities which require completion in that report - whether or not they are required for course completion. So go to the activity quiz (that your student could not complete) and find the student's name and manually mark that activity quiz as complete. That will then trigger the course completion to mark the course complete for them. It doesn't matter that the student has not done that original SEB quiz - you can mark it complete for them and then the course will be marked complete.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steve Hardwick -

I understand your thoughts now Wendy, good workaround.

I very much appreciate your assistance.

Take care
Steve