Is "Download this question in Moodle XML format" in the "Preview question" pop-up window removed in Moodle 4.0?

Is "Download this question in Moodle XML format" in the "Preview question" pop-up window removed in Moodle 4.0?

by Dominique Bauer -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

In Moodle 4.0, I'm looking for the "Download this question in Moodle XML format" link in the "Preview question" pop-up window, but I don't see it. Can anyone tell me if it is removed in 4.0?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

Re: Is "Download this question in Moodle XML format" in the "Preview question" pop-up window removed in Moodle 4.0?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
In my experimental Moodle 4.0, I find it by going to the Question Bank, Edit (any question). I don't find it in any "preview."

Attachment Export Question3.png
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Is "Download this question in Moodle XML format" in the "Preview question" pop-up window removed in Moodle 4.0?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Of course, it's still available from the Edit question menu (as in previous versions). But Dominique and myself are wondering why it's no longer available from the Question Preview.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It would be nice if the new Moodle 4.0 preview page had another button added for the export capability, like in this mock up picture. The extra button is warranted by the number of times just a single question gets posted for review/evaluation here in the forum.

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There is an ancient proverb that says "If the UX won't come to you, you must go to the UX":

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=432437 ↗

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Dominique Bauer -
Please support AL's proposal here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=432437 ↗.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello,

Obviously, it would be better to continue the conversation here.

Tim didn't really like AL's proposal. If I understood correctly, Tim's counter-proposal is as shown in the figure below. In my opinion, this would be an improvement over the current interface. I am in favour of it.

Questions in a quiz are in fact only links to the questions in the question bank. Some drop-down menu items may require an assessment of their suitability, e.g. Duplicate, Manage tags and History. Of course, it will be up to Tim to settle all this.

Formulas_20220304_1232.png

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No, that wasn't my proposal. We were talking about the Question preview window, not the Edit quiz page (which we will have to learn to call the 'Questions' page, which now Moodle HQ have implemented the navigation, I rather like.)

Anyway, slap a single one of those action menus someone in the question preview pop-up. Possibly. There are issues with that. E.g. preview is a pop-up. Which browser window do those various actions open in? Also, we would need to hide the 'Preview' action from the menu, because we are already on that page.

Also, we could go further. When you review a quiz as teacher, you get an 'Edit' icon by each question. Would it be good to replace that icon with the full action menu? And other places (e.g. Quiz statistics report.)

Worth considering, but probably too late for 4.0.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Tim,

...slap a single one of those action menus someone in the question preview pop-up. Why would you want that? Something like this?:

Formulas_20220304_1454.png

Would it be good to replace that icon with the full action menu? That's pretty much what I was suggesting in my previous post:

Formulas_20220304_1455.png

Worth considering, but probably too late for 4.0. Well, why can you just keep the existing link? Maybe in the form of a button like AL suggested. If you don't want to put it with the other buttons, put it below. As you said, you didn't think this was a good place to put the link but, perhaps inadvertently, you put it in a very useful place. So please keep it there for now:

Formulas_20220304_1456.png

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

OK, so it has only taken my a year to get around to doing anything here (sorry it took so long) but at least something might be about to happen now.

I still think that the best long-term plan is the thing with Action menus everywhere (which Dominique did a good job of creating UI mock-ups for in the posts above, thanks). However, the 'long-term' here is clearly going to be quite a long time. This is not in Moodle 4.2, and it is also not fitting into any plans for Moodle 4.3 that I am aware of. (Of course, Moodle is open source, if anyone else has the capacity to work on this, then please go for it smile) So, I have created MDL-77996 to record the idea, but don't hold your breath.

Therefore, it seems obvious (the writes after ignoring the problem for a year. Sorry) that as a short-term fix, we shoud just add back the 'Download this question in Moodle XML format' on the Preview screen. So, I created MDL-77997 for that, and I, or one of my colleagues, are planning to get that done soon-ish. I am hoping that since this is something that was in Moodel 3.11, and is now missing, we can say that it is a bug, and get the fix applied to all the supported branches 4.0.x, 4.1.y, and 4.2.z.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)