Pen interface when grading work.

Pen interface when grading work.

by Robert Clark -
Number of replies: 1

First off I am very grateful for all the development work on this very useful platform. I am not a developer, just a user. However, I use the grading interface to grade student’s work and find the writing interface to be completely buggy, basic and quite frankly awful.

It lacks any ability for the subtle use of an apple pen on my 2021 ipad pro. I cannot change the thickness of the line, it is difficult to write without interference from my hand. Worst of all there is no effective eraser. Getting rid of something written is slow, buggy, primitive, counter-intuitive, clumsy and not effective in any way (Who devised this?). Is it not possible to upgrade all aspects of writing on the platform, including instituting more conventional writing/drawing tools that actually function?

A further criticism - when I type in the comments section it sometimes brings up the keyboard but usually does not, unless I leave and then return to the page. This is very frustrating and a consistent problem.

Moodle is a great resource, and an excellent platform for uploading work, but the writing interface is by far the worst I have ever seen on any platform or app. Can someone rescue this?  Thank you in advance for the hero/ine that solves this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Clark

Re: Pen interface when grading work.

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
there are a few commercial tools that integrate with Moodle that provide a nicer grading interface like Turnitin's grademark that you might want to look at - I also saw an Edword demo last year and that looked quite nice but I'm not sure if they have a moodle integration yet.

I put together a development plan to improve Moodle's annotation/grading interface recently - you can read about it here:
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=422700
but - there's a decent chunk of work to implement those improvements and it needs someone to fund the actual development - hopefully it might happen one day smile