Student Quiz Results Disappearing

Student Quiz Results Disappearing

by Thomas Wright -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle Version: 3.4.9 (Build 20190513) (20171111309)
Role: Teacher

Situation: I have two students who have completed activities (quizzes) and later it appeared that they haven't done them. Their work does not appear when I enter "View Attempts" nor does it show up in "Grades".  However, I can see in the Student Log that one of them entered Moodle, opened the module and the activity completion was updated.

Studdent Log

The second student has shown me a screen capture which shows the quizzes completed and he has the little green arrows in the Activity Completion boxes indicating that he had a passing grade. Both students are using the app on their phone. I have reopened one of the quizzes and logged in as the student (from my computer) and I am able to re-do the activity without any problems. I re-opened the activities for the first student and he was able to do them again without any problems (presumably from the app on his phone). So, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

Screen Capture

Question(s): Does anyone have any insights as to why might this be happening? And how might we be able to prevent this in the future? Might this be a problem with connectivity and their use of the app? I don't want to have to do periodic back-ups of my grades and I don't want the students to have to keep re-doing the activities.

In reply to Thomas Wright

Re: Student Quiz Results Disappearing

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
When you logged in as the student, did it mention "preview" - if they have preview permission, their attempts will not be recorded...
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Student Quiz Results Disappearing

by Thomas Wright -
Thanks for answering Emma. I did not see anything about "preview" and Moodle did record the answers correctly when I completed the activity using his account on my computer. What puzzles me is that it appears that it works some of the time for him (and the other student).

Sometimes our connection to the Internet isn't the best.... but usually it is just a matter of waiting a moment and it comes back. That's why I mentioned connectivity... if for some reason they start on-line and finish off-line. My understanding is that when students work off-line in a course.... the Moodle app syncs with the platform when the connection is re-established.