New course format: Designer

New course format: Designer

by Stefan Scholz -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Moodlers!

Our course format Designer is now available in the Plugins directory. And it has received the reviewer’s choice award for bringing new UI and UX concepts. 

At the very core of Designer, there are two basic principles: (1) flexible layouts for sections and (2) clear and concise completion/progress information.

(1) Layouts for sections

In a normal Moodle course, all activities in all sections look the same. They do have different icons (and colors in 4.0+), but essentially it's an icon, a title, a description and some form of completion indicator. But not all activities *are* the same. Some are actual course content, some are optional side resources, some are mandatory, some are part of a linear course flow. Because of that, we believe that it's important to give teachers a choice to display activities differently. 

Let's look at a simple example, a three week course:

Section Zero — "General"
Announcements
Course syllabus
Discussion forum

Section One — "Week 1"
Reading material
Video lesson
Assignment of the week

Section One — "Week 2"
Reading material
Video lesson
Assignment of the week

Section One — "Week 3"
Reading material
Video lesson
Assignment of the week

Section zero contains activities that are valid throughout the course, and for the sake of our argument, they do not require completion, they are just there. But the activites in sections 1-3 are the actual course contents; that's what students should actually learn respectively complete in the corresponding week. That's why Designer allows teachers to use a different layout for section zero than the other sections. In this case, we'd suggest the links layout, which is very clean and uses very little space, for the section zero. And the list (or cards) layout for the sections 1-3.

The initial release of Designer provides three layouts (we'll add more in the next releases):
  • Links (similar to the default layout)
  • List
  • Cards
In each layout, the following information is displayed:
  • Type (icon + name)
  • Title
  • Description (expandable)
  • Visits count
  • Call to action
  • Status (completion status + due date; more on that in the next chapter)

(2) Completion / progress indicators

The completion system in Moodle is amazing. It provides so much control about the course flow, but we think that with a few tweaks, it can be so much better. The obvious suspect is a section progress indicator (which has been introduced by other formats already, most notably the tiles format, Workplace's list format, collapsible sections and a few others).

There's a lot of discussion going on currently about the introduction of completion badges (student activity completion). Some like it, some don't like it. As usual. We believe that teachers should have a choice wether they want to show or hide them. And if they hide them, without loosing the information about the completion status entirely. That's why we've built a custom completion element which indicates the current status of the *whole* activity in a clear and concise way: 

• incomplete
  • to be completed at a certain date
  • completed on date
  • due (to be completed today)
  • overdue (to be completed in the past)

In addition, we highlight activities that are due (light orange) or overdue (light red) so that it becomes super obvious for students. In order to determine the due date, we use Moodle core's expected completion date. (for those of you that do not want fixed dates here, have a look at our Time Management plugin, which introduces relative start and due dates for activities and the course!).

In addition to the two key features above, we've added a few additional things that we find helpful:
  • Collapsible sections
  • Sections per page with a button to go to the section (because too many students don't realise they can click on the title....)

What's next?

We're already working on the next version which will introduce the following features:

• Allow the teacher to choose which elements (title, type, icon etc.) per actitivy should be visible/hidden/visible on hover/hidden on hover
  • Make the whole activity clickable (instead of only the title, the icon and the call to action
  • Kanban board
  • Section widths (for the section per page layout)

If you want to know more, have a look at our public roadmap: https://bdecent.de/designer-roadmap/ ... and add a feature request!

Give it a try!

There's also a pro version which adds even more features!

Any questions, please let me know.

Hope you like it as much as we do!
Stefan on behalf of the whole bdecent team.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stefan Scholz

Re: New course format: Designer

by Stefan Scholz -

Designer by bdecent — Collapsible sections

Designer by bdecent — Collapsible sections

by Véronique VERON -

Hello. I need the answer very quickly for my work (other choices for the course depend on this)

With Designer Pro, how is it possible to change the title police (in your screenshot, I would like to change "General", "List","Cards" and "Links" police and color for example) ?

I've asked onhttps://chat.bdecent.de/ but the answer did not suit my problem : it explained how to change the text police, not the title police.

Thank you for your answer.

In reply to Véronique VERON

by Stefan Scholz -
Just a note:

What Veronique meant with „police“ is actually the font family. Changing the font family is not currently possible in Designer Pro, only the color can be changed.

We don’t plan to make font family a setting at the moment because we belobe that this should really be a site wide thing and therefore be part of the theme, not the course format. If enough people see this differently, we’ll consider it for a future release.

The only solution I could recommend was to use Learning Tools Pro‘s (which she had also bought already) custom styles to add custom styles (CSS) to the course, which is very easy for someone that knows CSS, and pretty much allows to change any (visual) aspect of the course.

Hope this helps!
Stefan

by Stefan Scholz -

Designer by bdecent — One section per page

including section progress bars and a button to open each section

Designer by bdecent — One section per page

by Stefan Scholz -

Designer by bdecent — Section layout links

Clean and space-saving. Concise completion status information in a known place.

Designer by bdecent — Section layout links

by Stefan Scholz -

Designer by bdecent — Section layout list

Displays the completion status of each activity in a very concise way. Activities that need the attention really stand out.
Also: A smooth transition to 4.0 — allowing students to get used to 4.0's look and feel slowly.

Designer by bdecent — Section layout list

by Stefan Scholz -

Designer by bdecent — Section layout cards

To avoid the scroll to death even in courses with lots of activities.

Designer by bdecent — Section layout cards

by Stefan Scholz -

Example course with Designer

Example course for moodle.org forum — with Designer

Example course with Topics

Example course for moodle.org forum — with Topics

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Stefan,

I've installed your format and I have to say, I'm impressed smile. It is refreshing and innovative, with some subtle touches of brilliance. The way you orchestrate the arrangement of the modules in a section through a unique per section menu is superb.

Kind regards,

Gareth
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Stefan Scholz -
Dear Gareth,

many thanks for your kind words — highly appreciated!

Best regards
Stefan

by Karalee Whiting -

Hi Stefan - We're testing the Designer course format for our Moodle environment. There's lots to like! I have a question though... we build our course content almost exclusively in SCORM packages and the activity completion status doesn't seem to have the same level of detail as Moodle-based activities. In particular, I can only get the SCORM activities to show 'Automatic Completion', rather than 'Completed' or 'Not yet complete'... see image below. Is this user error, or something inherent to using SCORM packages? We'd really like our users to be able to see if they've completed SCORM activities or not, like they can with the Moodle-based activities. Thanks for any info you can share!

Automatic completion rather than detailed completion status.

In reply to Karalee Whiting

by David Spring -

Thanks for this new option. You stated:

for those of you that do not want fixed dates here, have a look at our Time Management plugin, which introduces relative start and due dates for activities and the course...

I have looked everywhere for this Time Management plugin but I can not find it. Could you provide a link to this plugin?

In reply to David Spring

by Stefan Scholz -
Hi David,

here's the link: https://bdecent.de/product/learning-tools-time-management/ Time Management is one of the add-ons for Learning Tools.
We have configured a basic example here: https://labs.bdecent.de/course/view.php?id=301 (see screenshots below).
In order to test Time Management yourself, you can use one of the sandbox courses on labs.bdecent.de, and click on the magic wand button in the bottom right corner.

Setting up Time Management

Time Management (Student view)

Time Management integration in Designer (course header and activity status)

Hope this helps!
Stefan
In reply to Karalee Whiting

by Stefan Scholz -
Hi Karalee,

my apology for the late reply — I missed the notification for your post unfortunately.
The reason why you see the "automatic completion" pill is because you're not enrolled in the course as a student.

Student's view  
Explanations
  • The completion status is indicated by border and the background color:
    • Dark blue border and white background = activity uses activity completion
    • Orange border and light orange background = activity is due today
    • Red border and light red background = activity is overdue
  • The completion badge also indicates the completion status using text, an icon and color:
    • Dark blue background = activity uses automatic activity completion
    • Dark blue outline = activity uses manual activity completion
    • Orange = activity is due
    • Red = activity is overdue
The course header provides a summary of that information btw:

Teacher's view

If a user is not tracked by the completion system (usually the teacher), we display the activity completion configuration instead (none, manual, automatic). We've done that to help teachers spot activities which are not conifgured correclty — we've seen so many cases where the teacher accidentally used manual completion (because it's the default)....

Hope this makes sense!
Stefan