Analytics Moodle

Analytics Moodle

by Gimme Gimmer -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, everyone,

I have two difficulties and would like to ask for your advice.

A client has 16 moodle instances and asks us if there is a possibility for the participant to make a single login and have all the domains available at the same time. I thought about the https://moodle.org/plugins/auth_saml2 plugin. Do you know if it would work for me?

The second question, which is more difficult, is the following: the client would like to visualise analytics data (with Moodle tools) by taking data from different instances. Do you know if it is possible to cross-reference data from different instances within Moodle?

I hope I have made myself clear and that someone can help me.

Thank you,

Gimme

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gimme Gimmer

Re: Analytics Moodle

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

auth_saml2 is a good choice if you have your accounts stored in a central authentication system that supports SAML. We use it for single sign-on.

If you are extracting data from multiple Moodle databases and trying to analyse it together, you're likely to hit collisions where a record from Table A in Moodle 1 has the same ID as a record from Table A in Moodle 2. That could cause all sorts of problems when trying to perform analysis, and its not easy to resolve since that ID could be used as a foreign key in any number of other tables.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gimme Gimmer

Re: Analytics Moodle

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Sounds exciting! smile

While saml2 is a good option for providing SSO, what you really need "first" is a single identity provider for all those instances - typically this means using something like Azure AD or in some cases Google as your main authentation provider - once you have that sorted, you'd use either the built-in Oauth Moodle functionality to connect to that system or if you need something slightly different the auth_saml2 plugin can be a good option.

There are some options like using MNET or LTI to connect the Moodle systems, but they are a lot more fragile and often won't perform in the way you want with such a large number of sites (and MNET is basically deprecated too.)

You might find that all the users are already using Microsoft or Gmail for their email handling anyway so just connecting them all to MS/Google Oauth endpoints might be all you need to do. see:/
https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/OAuth_2_authentication

In terms of your analytic needs, I'd reccomend you try the following.
1) install https://moodle.org/plugins/logstore_xapi in all your plugins, and connect them all to an instance of learning locker; for your initial trial I'd reccomend you just pay learning locker to host it to start with and then look later at hosting it yourself if this works well. This scenario (multiple sources of learning data) is where the Experiance api/Tin can really shines. Keep in mind that this is only exporting "logs" though - so things like "what courses is the student enrolled in now" is not easy to answer from the external report source.,

2) Reach out to Intelliboard (Official Moodle integration partner) and discuss with them the multi-tenancy reporting they can do - they have a really slick out of the box reporting engine that might provide a large number of the reports that the client is already thinking about (as well as a bunch they didn't know they would be interested in.)

3) If you want to go with something bespoke - I've seen a lot of organisations use Microsoft's Power BI and just directly connect/ingest data from all the Moodle database systems - quite a bit more work involved here, but it becomes a pretty flexible reporting tool.

4) If you're looking for something open source - we've been playing a lot with Metabase here at Catalyst recently (https://www.metabase.com/) we're using it for tracking higher level information about all the moodle sites in our fleet (version updates / plugin versions) - but from an ISP level rather than from the level of a researcher/client but it could also potentially be adapted for some client style reporting. (but likely a lot more work than option 1/2 above.)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)