The new scrollbar is too narrow

av Dominique Bauer -
Antall svar: 9
The new scrollbar is stylish but, being too narrow, it is not accessible. trist
Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (1)
Som svar til Dominique Bauer

Re: The new scrollbar is too narrow

av Nathan Lind -
Is this issue in Moodle 4.0? Have a screenshot to show?
Som svar til Nathan Lind

av Dominique Bauer -

Yes, Moodle 4.0.

The screenshots below were taken on a 24" monitor at 1902 x 1200 resolution, Windows 7*.

Google.com, Facebook.com, Wikipedia.com, Amazon.com, Instagram.com, etc. use the the browser standard scrollbar which looks like this on Firefox:

YouTube uses the standard scroolbar but has reversed the darkness of the color, which is nice:

Moodle 4.0 uses a dark but too narrow bar:

On Chrome, the bar gets even narrower:

Today, Google.com, YouTube.com, Facebook.com, Wikipedia.com, Amazon.com and Instagram.com combined have over 170 billion visits per month. They all use the standard browser scrollbar, which users know and expect. If Moodle really wants to implement a custom scrollbar, it should be designed more accessible than the standard one, not less. smiler

* Market share worldwide as of Jan 2022. Win10: 81%, Win7: 12%, Win8: 3%. Win11: 2.4%.

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (2)

av Przemek Kaszubski -
I second that request strongly. Just installed the latest Moodle 4 dev (4.0dev+ (Build: 20220208) locally yesterday and that strip of a scrollbar really IS too narrow.
Using latest Firefox on Windows 10, Boost theme.

av Nathan Lind -
Agreed, we will need a wider scroll bar.
Som svar til Nathan Lind

av Przemek Kaszubski -
One other thing - the cursor. Perhaps it is against the current WWW specs / recommendations, but I was wondering if a change of the cursor from the default arrow to, say, the grabbing hand, once it hovers over the scroll bar could not help the user to more quickly operate the scroll bar - especially if it were to remain this thin..
https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/playit.asp?filename=playcss_cursor&preval=grabbing
Som svar til Nathan Lind

av Ross Lovell -
I might be in the minority but I'm fine with the width of the scroll bar. I work primarily on a Mac with Safari and the scroll bar is slightly wider than than Safari's default width. The standard sizes shown for the scroll bars in Firefox look too wide to me.
Som svar til Ross Lovell

av Przemek Kaszubski -
On reflection, not being an expert in this, all I can say is that considerable effort has been put by the HQ into the scrollbar redesign, and I'm prepared to trust the decisions made:
Cf.
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-72877
and
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-72456 .
Som svar til Przemek Kaszubski

av Bob Gilmore -
It's very easy to adjust too. The following CSS overrides should set it back to browser defaults:

#page.drawers, .drawercontent { scrollbar-width: inherit; }
Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (2)