Failed PayPal Transactions using Enrolment by Payment Plugin

Failed PayPal Transactions using Enrolment by Payment Plugin

by Robert Felix -
Number of replies: 6

I'm using version 3.11.4 and although I've gone through the setup instructions several times with live transactions, I can't get a PayPal payment to go through. Moodle seems to be sending PayPal a payment with a zero amount, and so all I see when I try to complete a transaction is a screen that opens and then immediately closes.

Suggestions for what might be causing this will be greatly appreciated.
– Bob

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Felix

Re: Failed PayPal Transactions using Enrolment by Payment Plugin

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Paypal can be somewhat finicky - have you set up the ipn part on the Paypal side? It is hard to tell exactly what is going on..
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Robert Felix -
Hi Emma,
I was under the impression that with the new Enrolment on Payment plugin introduced with version 3.10, PayPal's IPN is no longer needed. I recall that trying to use IPN with the old PayPal plugin was problematic as well.
In reply to Robert Felix

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Per the instructions - you still need to enable IPN - https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/PayPal_enrolment#PayPal_side_setup

by Robert Felix -
Hi Emma, I believe those instructions are for setting up the old PayPal plugin, which is going to be discontinued in a future version. Here are the instructions for setting up the new Enrollment on Payment plugin: https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Enrolment_on_payment and for setting up a payment gateway: https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Payment_gateways
In reply to Robert Felix

by Emma Richardson -
Oh, you are right - but you still need the paypal secret and key - do you have those? And, silly question, but you do have a price in there for the course?

by Robert Felix -
Yes, key and secret are set, along with prices set as both a default amount and in each course setting I've tried. I've gone through the instructions several times but I still seem to be missing something. I've been hoping someone else would have run into the same issue and figured it out. Could be that not so many organizations have upgraded to or beyond version 3.10, and are using the new Plugin and PayPal as the payment gateway...