Due Dates for Forums

Due Dates for Forums

by Blair Goodlin -
Number of replies: 3
I know that the due date forum setting adds an entry to the calendar, and also an item in the students' timeline block.  Does it do anything else?  Looking over the tracker entry the added the due date, it seems as if it wasn't intended to do more, but there's at least one comment saying that posts after the due date cannot be rated.  But I'm not seeing that behavior for my site.

Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Blair Goodlin

Re: Due Dates for Forums

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Forums have a separate "Ratings" date. Below is a screenshot of the "?" help about the due date. There is not a "?" for Rating date. However, I use the Rating "To" date so that I know which students submitted after the due date (can't rate these.)
Attachment Forum Due Date.png
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Blair Goodlin -

Thanks, Rick. The tracker comment I mentioned in my original post was yours. In that comment, you wrote:

> I do want to address one of your comments, that for forums, "there is absolutely no visual
> difference between the posts submitted before or after due date."
>
> Yes there is. Right now, posts submitted after the due date do not provide the instructor the
> ability to "rate" late posts. The "rate" feature is not shown for overdue posts.

That's one thing that confused me about setting a due date -- I didn't see that behavior. Were you talking about the due date, and this behavior no longer applies? Or were you talking about the "Restrict ratings to items with dates in this range" date?  Or is there some setting my admin can change to get that behavior?  I understand that the ratings prevention can be accomplished with the "Restrict ratings..." date(s); I'm just trying to fully understand the due date functionality.

In reply to Blair Goodlin

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
When I started that Tracker item, Forums did not have due dates.

My comments were directed at Marina. I was saying that posts submitted after the "rating" date do not allow the rating drop down. So one must use the rating date to see some difference between posts made before and after the due date.

Hope that I addressed your question, Blair.