Advanced Grading - Incomplete rubric needs to save

Re: Advanced Grading - Incomplete rubric needs to save

by Uli Mauersberg -
Number of replies: 9
Thanks for flagging this Nathan & Eric, Gradebook is something the Moodle UX team is currently looking at for 4.1. Understanding these type of key moments and interactions that create friction are essential for us. Definitely an interaction that could serve to be more intuitive (particularly when you have a number of students to grade).
In reply to Uli Mauersberg

by Nathan Lind -
Hi Uli, or anyone else working on UX. Might you work on this issue of rubrics not saving grades and text feedback when not completely filled in?

I am sad to report that even in Moodle 4.1 that rubric data and teacher feedback is deleted if the teacher tries to move to the next student but there is one rubric criteria not chosen yet. Here is Moodle 4.1 demo screen recording showing this lingering issue:

https://www.loom.com/share/aaf991495e824e29a262c355a19610c2

Please allow partially completed rubrics/grading guides to be saved, including the typed feedback. smile
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Marie Achour -
Hello everyone,

Nathan, thank you so much for the videos, they help immensely.

We have reached code freeze and are more than halfway through the QA cycle for 4.1 which means we won't have the opportunity to address this in that release, however, we are continuing our work on all things grading in the coming months and will have the opportunity to address your feedback then.

For reference, our development team have recently provided a response on this tracker issue:
"Kia ora Nathan Lind,

Thanks for providing the video and raising this issue up again.

Given you commented the same video on the issue I am linking here, I went through that one as well and it feels that the discussion could be better contained here.

Given the timeline, unfortunately even if a patch were to be provided today I doubt we'd be able to land it due to us going beta release soon.

If someone in the community could provide a patch, we'd happily look it over. In the meantime I'll throw this issue on our backlog to try and address this as the opportunity presents itself between our 4.2 feature work."
Average of ratings:Useful (2)
In reply to Marie Achour

by Richard Samson -
Thanks, everybody. I agree with Nathan that unsaved grading in assignments with rubrics is all too easy to take place unintentionally. It's a risk and a pain when an unalert grader does loses grades.

We are on Moodle 3.11 still and added this CSS to the Boost-based theme:

/* bigger error message */
.gradingform_rubric-error {
       font-size: 2rem;
}

With this, when graders try to save incomplete rubric forms they see a huge message:

Error message

It's still possible to navigate away from the page, ignoring the warning, but it is a step in the right direction perhaps.

We also added this CSS to improve the rubric appearance:

.path-mod-assign [data-region="grade-panel"] .fitem.has-popout {
    overflow: auto;
}

And we forced the grading page to default to the "Collapse review panel" view so as not to have graders looking at an empty pdf region occupying 75% of the useful space in the browser window. (Would you like more details on this?)
Average of ratings:Useful (2)
In reply to Richard Samson

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Re: "And we forced the grading page to default to the "Collapse review panel" view so as not to have graders looking at an empty pdf region occupying 75% of the useful space in the browser window. (Would you like more details on this?)"

I'd be interested, yes.

Thanks !
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Richard Samson -
OK. I will look this up and get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

by Nathan Lind -
Appreciate you sharing this when you have time.
Thanks Richard.
Nathan

by Nathan Lind -
Hi Richard,
Thank you for this CSS! Yes, for sure, I am interested in the additional CSS for collapsing the review panel as well, if you are willing to share. Thanks!
Nathan

>>And we forced the grading page to default to the "Collapse review panel" view so as not to have graders looking at an empty pdf region occupying 75% of the useful space in the browser window. (Would you like more details on this?)
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Bob Gilmore -

Late to the party with this one. I solved this problem with some JS in the Additional HTML:

<script>
window.addEventListener('load', function() { if(document.getElementById('page-mod-assign-grader')) {
      document.querySelectorAll('div[data-region="review-panel"]')[0].classList.add('collapsed');
      document.querySelectorAll('button[aria-label="Collapse review panel"]')[0].classList.add('active');
      document.querySelectorAll('button[aria-label="Restore default layout"]')[0].classList.remove('active');
   }
});
</script>

I did try activating the click event on the Collapse review panel button, so I'd let Moodle's code take care of all of the correct interactions, but I never could get that to work. I have probably missed a couple. 

Working on this solution too, I discovered that the "Before BODY is closed" additional HTML doesn't work on any page that doesn't have the ? icon (i.e. the footer area), so put this code in the "Within HEAD" additional HTML. This is why there is an event listener in there as there is some more complex coding to check for the existence of the element before the element has a chance to load with in-line scripts and I wanted something quick and dirty to just make it work

I made a note to myself log this as a bug, but never got back to Moodle 4.x as I was doing too much of this stuff to make it work for us when 3.x worked just fine.