Insight notifications for upcoming assignments?

by Sharon Strauss -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Testers

Hello all,

I have an instructor that asked if Moodle can automatically alert/remind students in her course when assignments are due soon.

It looks like I should be able to use Insight reports and Analytics to set up such notifications. However, I cannot get it working. Although it looks like there is a default report to do exactly this, that report is always empty. I tried adjusting the report settings to include the upcoming week, but that does not seem to make a difference.

I also tried setting up event monitoring to at least let students subscribe to such an alert. However, I could not find a monitor for either the Assignment activity or Core->Calendar that would do what I want.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me? Even if you could just point me to good instructions that would be so fab.  https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Analytics_quick_guide and other Moodle docs connected to this don't quite address this issue.

Thank you.

-Sharon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sharon Strauss

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Sharon,
For me, we have gotten the Insight emails to work by setting the "Expected Complete On" dates in each activity's "Activity Completion" section (in the activity's settings). Then the report that emailed to students would simply direct students to their Moodle dashboard which would list which activities were upcoming that week.
In reply to Sharon Strauss

Re: Insight notifications for upcoming assignments?

by Motasem Al Haj Ali -
Hi Sharon,

I agree with John that there is another ways to send a notification to remind students about a due date, but if you want the analytical models work for you first you need to enable them on your site, then you need to be sure that the course has a start and end date then you need to be sure that you course has enough logged data. Anyhow please ready this Link, I think it is helpful.

Regards
Mo
Average of ratings: Useful (1)