Does this issue fall under UX?

Does this issue fall under UX?

av Dominique Bauer -
Antall svar: 4

Hello,

Two weeks ago, I posted the following message on the Gradebook forum:
The "Single view" table is sorted, by default, by "User full name". Is it possible to sort it by "First name" and by "Surname", as in the "Grader report" table?

If the answer is no, which I suspect, if I ever get an answer, maybe the UX people should look at this kind of issue. That is, if UX isn't just about icons, colors, and layout of menus.

A table of student results that cannot be sorted by first or last name is not very practical. In another words, the user experience would improve if such sorting was possible.

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (2)
Som svar til Dominique Bauer

Re: Does this issue fall under UX?

av Bob Gilmore -

I assume you're talking about :

Compared with

(Not a great example I know, but I really didn't want to edit out names for a course with actual learners on it, sorry!)

If so, then I've never found a way to do it. I'd suggest hunting for an issue report in the tracker( https://tracker.moodle.org/projects/MDL/issues/MDL-72783?filter=allopenissues )  and voting for it, or adding one and linking it back here so we can vote on it.  I had a quick look in the gradebook tracker ( https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-73639?jql=project%20%3D%20MDL%20AND%20component%20%3D%20Gradebook ), but didn't spot anything immediately.

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (1)
Som svar til Dominique Bauer

av Uli Mauersberg -
Thanks for flagging this issue Dominique. I'm the UX Lead at Moodle HQ for LMS. The issue does relate to UX in how people interact, use and interpret what data is being shown. From a consistency standpoint this makes full sense to line up how people sort and filter. An aspect the UX team are exploring for future releases.

A question I have for yourself (and the wider community), is how usable do you find the the below sort/filter feature? Yes it meets the requirement of sorting by first and last name, but in terms of it visually, functionally and what you've come to expect in the use of other apps/websites etc, how does it feel?

Vedlegg filter-standards.png
Som svar til Uli Mauersberg

av Dominique Bauer -

Hello Uli,

Regarding filtering by First name and Surname, the two lines are convenient and clear. Regarding sorting by First name and Surname, the links at the top of the table are standard and clear.

Visually and functionally, it looks a lot like Windows File Explorer and Google Drive.

So, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to change.

Windows File Explorer:

Google Drive:

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (1)