Award badge for progression

Award badge for progression

by Allison Delvendiep -
Number of replies: 1

Hi does anyone know how to award a badge for either completing a set number of activities within a course or for achieving a minimum grade across a number of courses?

I have about 30 scorm packages, loaded as activities in one course. Each activity is it's own little course of learning (e.g How to write an email). The idea is as the student completes more and more of these little courses they get a badge. E.g. Complete one activity and get a novice learner badge, complete 3 activities and get an intermediate learner badge, complete 7 activities and get an advanced learner badge... and so on.

I don't want to choose which activities the learner must do to earn the badges, there are heaps to choose from so I would like them to choose what is relevant to them on the day.

I also don't want to wait for them to complete the entire course, which consists of these 30 scorm activities, because that could take forever and students may lose interest.

I have tried to break up the scorm activities to create individual, structured courses but the option to award on course completion is limited to completing all of the courses selected. When I select all of the courses, I cannot simply say when any 3 courses are complete or when a grade of 3 is achieved ie. if every course was worth 1 mark.

Any suggestions on how to award badges for progressive effort?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Allison Delvendiep

Re: Award badge for progression

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Allison,

That’s something that you can accomplish with our Pulse activity. (https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_pulse)

Pulse can be configured to become complete once it’s available. This opens up lots of flexibility because it means that you can use all the availability conditions to decide when something should happen.

For example:
  • You have 30 scorm activities 
  • You want to award a badge to students that complete at least 3 scorms
  • You create a pulse activity which becomes available once 3 scorms are completed (you can do that by grade, by course progress, by specifying which activities…., all using available conditions)
  • You configure that pulse to become complete when it’s available 
  • You award a badge based on this pulse 
You can do that as many times as you want.

Once it’s setup, it’ll work completely automated.

Doing it across courses would also be possible I think, but requires a bit more setup.

Any questions, please ask!

Hope this helps
Stefan