Self-reporting Attendance Configuration

Self-reporting Attendance Configuration

by Rob Jenson -
Number of replies: 1

Moodle version 3.11.5 with the latest version of the Attendance plugin installed.

I have been trying to get this to work for our use case and I have hit a dead end. Perhaps someone here can offer a hint.

Our intended usage: We have a blended class where we deliver lectures to students via Zoom (without the Moodle plugin) and we provide all the other learning resources in a Moodle course. We would like to use the Attendance plugin to track that they went to the Zoom lecture. We would like to use the "self-reporting" feature with a different codeword for each session, that will be presented during the Zoom. We would like to allow them to self-report their attendance in Moodle any time after they get the codeword, for a fixed period of time after the Zoom is finished. Let's call it two days.

I set up each session with the date and time of the Zoom, and I create a codeword. I went into the "Status Sets" and put a value of 2880 (2 days in minutes) under "Available for Students" ... and save it.

During that date and time window, Submit attendance is available for my students to click on, key in the codeword, and they can self-report. However, after the end of the specified time window, Submit attendance disappears ... it does not seem like my 2880 minutes from the time the session begins is valid.

I was then thinking that it is possible that the Attendance date and time was intended only for the session time in which they may mark themselves present (i.e., they must be in Moodle during that windows). My workaround would be to make the "Session" last two days ... but a session can only take place in one date with a start and end time.

So ... any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Jenson

Re: Self-reporting Attendance Configuration

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

We use this almost exactly the same way, except I make them log in during the Zoom session so that they don't get to go and give the code out to their buddies that missed the training for whatever reason!  I am pretty sure that the plugin is tied to the course length because I actually had to hack the code to allow our attendees to log in a little before the start of the training.  Without the hack (which was a very clumsy adding of -7200 to wherever I found the coursestartdate in a couple of the files!!), the session would be hidden because it was starting prior to the start of the class.  I would think you could actually do the same hack to add time to the courseenddate or time or whatever it is called.