1.7 to 2.0 jump

1.7 to 2.0 jump

av Darren Smith -
Antall svar: 3
Just wondering why the roadmap jumps from 1.7 to 2.0. Is this to reflect a more mature product or are the version 2.0 features such a big step up that the version number reflects this?

Darren
Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Darren Smith

Re: 1.7 to 2.0 jump

av Jason Cole -
In some ways, 2.0 has always been the mid-distance target for Moodle, which we have been slowly evolving towards. Now we have a hard target, set by MD himself. Moodle 2.0 will be the product which conforms to IMS Learning Design Level C. There is one planned release before that (1.7) to release some critical functionality to the community without having to wait for the rest of the LD features. So, roles and permissions and repository API will be packaged up and released in 1.7, but they move us significantly closer to 2.0. Once we have everything in place to conform with  IMS LD C, Martin will call that 2.0 and then we'll be off to 2.1.

We will get to 2.0... oh yes, we will.
Som svar til Darren Smith

Re: 1.7 to 2.0 jump

av Martin Dougiamas -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers
Many of the things in 2.0 were quite new and hard to implement, and interconnected. And yes, the networking features are a new level of functionality.

I really wanted to just have a long time free of releases and some peace to work on 2.0 without interruptions. Having the jump also allows me some license to break backward compatibility when really necessary. smiler However commercial and community pressures are probably going to force more interim releases.

The more interim releases we have the further 2.0 will get pushed back, I think, as releases are a huge effort. However, the community will also get it's hands on some new features sooner so it's a good tradeoff.