3.11 Version / Edumy Theme - slow loading time

3.11 Version / Edumy Theme - slow loading time

by Katharina Hicker -
Number of replies: 9

Hi Everyone, 

I am using Moodle 3.11 and the Edumy Theme 2.60. 

We installed the theme and added some content (we haven't uploaded any course yet, which consists of a lot of video material) - unfortunately the site loading time is slow. The test result was over 4 seconds, which is not a good user experience. I am afraid it will only get worse, since we haven't added all content yet. 

I spoke to an editor and she was advising me to switch to another theme (Space) as Edumy is know for being slow. I am just not sure if the theme is really the only problem. So before I spend any money on a new theme - did anybody here experience slowness based on the Edumy theme? 

Many thanks in advance - the site can be found here (WIP): https://speakeasyclub.org/

Attachment Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 19.35.21.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Katharina Hicker

Re: 3.11 Version / Edumy Theme - slow loading time

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Is the theme slow on your site if you have a test course with just a few text labels and maybe a small image or two on there?

Have you tried switching to just test on Boost theme to see what the page load performance is?

How have you added the videos? If they are all uploaded directly into Moodle and they are directly on the course page, rather than say YouTube links, or on separate pages, then you are asking your site to effectively upload all those videos on each page load of the course and that will definitely slow your site down, but is not theme related.

so: suggested steps
1 Test your existing content with standard Boost theme
2 Test your theme with minimal/reasonable content
Those results should tell you whether you need to swap theme, or redesign your learning so you are not forcing so many immediate video file uploads at once.
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Katharina Hicker -
This is very helpful, thank you Richard! I will try the boost theme and take it from there. Video content would be uploaded into Moodle directly, so that should help.

Many thanks!

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
One solution for the videos (I'm sure there are many) if you have a number of large videos, would be to put a thumbnail image of the video on the course page itself and link that to the video, having added that to a separate page. That will mean the video is not forced to be uploaded until that 'hidden' page is accessed, rather than when the course itself is loaded. That would also be good for mobile users as it doesn't force their download every time the course is opened and use up bandwidth as well as loading time.

by Juan Yepes R -

Hello, were you able to solve the slowness of your edumy theme, I just bought it for a client and the moodle site has worsened in terms of slowness.

If you manage to solve it, could you please share what you did?

In reply to Juan Yepes R

by Katharina Hicker -
Hi Juan, no. Unfortunately non of the tips have helped so far. I know that the hosting server I am using (namecheap) is not great either when it comes to speed. I will try and switch and see if it gets any better.

Which server are you using?

If all fails, I'll go back to the basic theme and have a splash page somewhere else.

by JOSE GUILLERMO ROJAS GARRIDO -

I am having a serious slowdown problem with the Edumy theme in Moodle 3.9. 

My site has more than 1000 trainings. While yours has only 1 and it is already slow.

I have tried hiding all the cocoon blocks that come with the Edumy theme and it is still slow to load. 

Also without blocks I compared the loading speed between Edymy, Classic and the Adaptable theme and in all cases, Edumy is always the slowest. 

I opened a ticket in the support area of Cocoon, the provider of the Thema Edumy, hoping they will give me an answer.

In reply to JOSE GUILLERMO ROJAS GARRIDO

by Katharina Hicker -
Keep us posted Jose! I love the theme, it would be a shame if I have to do it all over again now.
In reply to JOSE GUILLERMO ROJAS GARRIDO

by Ayman Ezzaki -
hello jose i wish you r doing good , i like to know coccon answer your ticket

by Anthony M -
Hi, 

I am also experiencing slowness problems in a site with Edumy, I used https://gtmetrix.com/ to test the site and the next are the results when testing the same site in Edumy theme (left) and Boots theme (right)...

I switched the debug mode to developer for the site and the next error shows up...

Notice: Trying to get property 'subcategoriesCount' of non-object in /var/www2/html/theme/edumy/classes/output/core/course_renderer.php on line 163

Notice: Undefined variable: content in /var/www2/html/theme/edumy/classes/output/core/course_renderer.php on line 507

Notice: Undefined variable: content in /var/www2/html/theme/edumy/classes/output/core/course_renderer.php on line 430

Notice: Undefined variable: src in /var/www2/html/theme/edumy/classes/output/core/course_renderer.php on line 407

Notice: Undefined variable: content in /var/www2/html/theme/edumy/classes/output/core/course_renderer.php on line 430

Notice: Undefined variable: html in /var/www2/html/theme/edumy/classes/output/core_renderer.php on line 1117

I will contact edumy about those errors but I doubt that Edumy is responsible for the site having such a bad performance. I also tested in https://gtmetrix.com/ other site in Edumy and the results are so good...

My theory for the first site being so bad performance is that its hosted in Interserver and the sedond site (last screenshot above) is very good because the site is hosted in AWS. I think I will migrate the 1st site to aws and test performance there to see if my theory is right.

I will appreciate if anyone here could test their Edumy sites in https://gtmetrix.com/  and share the result to we could compare.

Thanks,