permission denied errors

permission denied errors

by Thomas Horn -
Number of replies: 3
Trying a new thread here related to the unable to login problems.

After a new installation, admin and users are able to login.  Problems arise later when a session timeout message is received at the login screen.  Users and admin are unable to login.

Checking the /sessions/ folder shows the newly created session files are read only.
Apache error_log shows:  PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/www/html/moodledata/sessions/sess_9igs8sdf24g4hgv7mgg63dk511, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0,

and

PHP Warning:  Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/www/html/moodledata/sessions) in Unknown on line 0

I've checked the permissions on the folders and they are ok.  Really scratching my head here, so any help would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Horn

Re: permission denied errors

by Paul Austad -

I encountered this problem today, my site crashing overnight.

After checking another similar thread on this issue ( http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=26970 ) I was left with no answers. I turned to my webhosting company and they seemed to think that the issue was with "php suexec" ... they recompiled this option into the service and after about 30 minutes everything was back up and running. We'll see if it sticks.

Paul Austad

In reply to Paul Austad

by Derrel Fincher -
I have this problem and my provider told me it wasn't their issue. In tracking the problem down, I've found that the the session files stored in /tmp/moodledata/sessions were getting permissions 600 (owner read and write, but no execute). Manually changing the permissions on a session to 700, i.e., adding execute, solved the problem for that session but obviously that's not a viable long term solution. Any other suggestions?

Derrel Fincher
In reply to Derrel Fincher

by Derrel Fincher -
I had the recommendation to make "nobody" the owner so that Apache could access it, but that didn't seem to change anything, so I went into the admin panel and turned on the option to store session data in the database