Announcements-Like Forums With Group Restrictions

Announcements-Like Forums With Group Restrictions

by Rob Jenson -
Number of replies: 3

We are running Moodle 3.11.5

We have a class with students in several different groups. We want teachers to post announcements in a forum with forced subscription, so that students will be notified by email. We don't want students to post to that forum. This is what Announcements is set up for.

Our problem is that members of several of those groups should receive different announcements because they are not allowed to access the same resources (outside of Moodle -- for example, some will join classes via Zoom, others will attend in person at a different location, some are auditors who only have access to Moodle ... you get the picture).

I thought that I found a workaround by deleting the Announcements forum, then creating 3 new forums that are access-restricted to each set of groups that should see the forum. This takes care of forced subscriptions, different messages get sent to different groups of users and everything is good ... except ...

... any student who can see the forum can also create a forum post, which would send an announcement to everyone, and that would be bad.

Is there a way to set permissions on a Forum to prevent students from posting to it, but able to read what is there? Am I missing something in the forum settings?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Jenson

Re: Announcements-Like Forums With Group Restrictions

by Rob Jenson -
OK, I found a solution.

After setting up the Forum with Access Restrictions to make it accessible only to the groups desired, I go into "The Gear" -> Edit Settings -> Permissions and then I delete all Student permissions under Activity : Forum that I don't want a student to have ... "Create attachments" , "Export own post", "Reply to posts" and "Start new discussions"

It is a little bit klunky (repeat for 3 forums) but I think it will work.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Jenson

by Deds Castillo -
Picture of Plugin developers
Looks like you figured it out before I was able to post. :D
In reply to Rob Jenson

by Deds Castillo -
Picture of Plugin developers

If you use one different threads per post then you can either lock the discussion (and unlock when you need to post on that thread again). 

Or maybe restrict the permissions using the permissions option in forum administration.  You can remove reply to post and create new post from students.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)