Moodle server on android smartphone

Moodle server on android smartphone

by Thierry Coilhac -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

While working for NGO ED4free specialized in low-cost digital tools for education and training in Africa,  I have successfully tested the installation of a Moodle 3.11 server on a Smartphone.

It works fine and performances are not so bad.

There are two ways to do it:

- With Linux Deploy Android application, which requires rooting the smartphone, which is a significant obstacle, but with which the performance is good (in use, no difference compared to a Raspberry PI 3 B +). This application is based on the Chroot command which creates a Debian environment on Android (same concept than Docker, but native to Linux).

- With Termux Android application which does not require to root the smartphone. The response times are less good but not catastrophic. This application is based on the Linux command Proot (same than Cgroot but without link with natif OS Android).

Other applications have been successfully installed, including Wordpress server, Nextcloud server and the Kiwix server which allows embedding Wikipedia and other content like Wikibooks, Project Gutenberg, etc.)

What can this be used for? Suppose a teacher make course in front of his students in Africa. On his smartphone, he activates the “Moodle server” and “wifi hotspot” functions, then he invites his students to download his course on their own smartphones, so they will be able to consult it at home (they use Moodle android app for downloading the course).

You can find more information at https://ed4free.org/edphone/ (in French, but you can use translation feature of your browser).

We are looking for partners to lead a pilot in Africa.

Best regards

Thierry

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Thierry Coilhac

Re: Moodle server on android smartphone

by James Steerpike -
I tried to set up Moodle on Termux but never succeeded, Given the processing power and storage of a smartphone, this has real potential.
I ended up using Termux to ssl to my remote servers so it wasn't effort wasted.
In reply to James Steerpike

Re: Moodle server on android smartphone

by Thierry Coilhac -
Hello James,
I confirm that Moodle works fine on Termux. You install Debian with proot-distro, then you enter Debian, then it is exactly the same installation procedure than on any Debian system (all required apt-get work, that was the main uncertainty ). I worked on smartphones based on Armv7l, that can help, moreover because it is the same processor than Raspberry PI. I even tried to copy a binary from a Raspberry pi to the Smartphone, it works fine.
Then only difficulty is that Madiadbd crash on Proot distro debian with "Segmentation fault". Someone gave a solution on Termux forum. But on my side I launch Mysqld directly on termux (not debian), and during the installation of Moodle I put 127.0.0.1 as Mysql server adress.
I agree that the potential is high. I try to find a partner for a pilot in Africa (Mali, Senegal or Burkina, in association with the Virtual Universities which use Moodle as main platform). We could involve a local telecom operator which would collect old smarphones from customers who buy new one, with them we could equip schools, student could connect on them in wifi for free with their own smlartphones (using Moodle android app for dowloading the courses). That would accelerate the development of e-learning in Africa.
Thierry
Average of ratings: Useful (2)