Only show and allow course for enrolled students - follow up

Only show and allow course for enrolled students - follow up

by Jo Ma -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

this is a follow up of an old discussion (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=154863).

As we already have quite a few couses in moodle configured and I would like to help students the courses that are relevant/accessible for them I would like to hide all courses and only show the courses a student is enrolled to.

I followed the advice from this old post https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=154863#p803486

Currently I have the following properties activated for the student role:

moodle/category:viewhiddencategories

moodle/course:viewhiddencourses

moodle/course:viewhiddensections

mod/book:viewhiddenchapters

moodle/course:viewhiddenactivities

Then I hided all the courses.

If I connect now in the android app with a student account I can see the correct courses - only the courses he is enrolled in but not the courses he is not enrolled in.

Unfortunately I can not go into any of the enrolled courses, if I tap on the course nothing happens. The name is actually greyed out.

Any ideas how to solve this?

If I unhide the couse then I can again go into the course as the student user.

Greetings

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jo Ma

Re: Only show and allow course for enrolled students - follow up

by Andreas Schenkel -
Picture of Plugin developers
Why should only courses should be shown for enrolled students? The dashboard only shows this courses to student.
In reply to Andreas Schenkel

by Jo Ma -
Hi Andreas,
thank you very much for your response.
I'm not sure if I understood your question correctly but let me explain a bit more my issue.
We actually have 2 generations of students (some started in 2020 and some in 2021 to study).
All courses are the same for students who started in 2020 and 2021. So eg. let's say the students that started in 2020 attended the courses English 1, English 2 and English 3.
A student that started in 2021 starts now to attend English 1, English 2 and English 3. But he can see his own courses English 1-3 but also the courses English 1-3 of the students from 2020.
So they see each course twice (6 at all) but they are only enrolled to one of the two (3 at all).
In the app they see all 6 courses - in this example, in reality they see quite more courses although most are not relevant for them.

In order to clean up the list of visible courses I would like to limit the list for each student to those that he is enrolled in an can access.
I managed to clean up the list with the steps described but now the students can only see the courses they are enrolled in but can not open them.

I hope I could explain it a bit better.
Greetings
In reply to Jo Ma

by Andreas Schenkel -
Picture of Plugin developers
Students can use the dashboard, There only courses they are enrolled where shown.
In reply to Jo Ma

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Have you set up something like the "Course list viewer role" on the site?

This permission setting can control whether students only see their enroled courses or all courses - in the web interface, at least. The question would be whether the mobile app respects this permission nor not.
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Jo Ma -
Thanks for your hint.
I'll check if I have the setting enabled.