Problem loading mgf (Mopac Graphic File) into JSmol

Problem loading mgf (Mopac Graphic File) into JSmol

by A. Sergio Garay -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, all!

I usually load pdb files into JSmol to work with my students, but now, I need to load a mgf file (Mopac Graphic File)  into JSmol (to study molecular orbitals). The problem is that there aren't any example of how to do that in JSmol inside Moodle (or I Couldn't find it).

I tried this (the way I use to load pdf files):

<a title="JSmol" href="https://evirtual.unl.edu.ar/file.php/3292/FH2.mgf">FH</a>

But it didn't work

I was able to load the mgf file using the load button after setting the application to show full menu, so I know that JSmol can do it even inside Moodle. 

I'm using Moodle 3.4 and Jmol Applet: 14.4.1-2016.01.09

Any help will be welcome!

Thanks in advanced

Sergio 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to A. Sergio Garay

Re: Problem loading mgf (Mopac Graphic File) into JSmol

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I assume you are talking about the "Jmol filter" for Moodle? I could find no up to date information about it.

In addition, Moodle 3.4 has been completely unsupported for nearly three years which isn't ideal. You are strongly encouraged to update.

I don't know anything about this stuff but I suspect that this filter is no longer supported and some other solution is needed.
In reply to Howard Miller

by A. Sergio Garay -
Thank you Howard for your prompt response.The Moodle administrator (I'm just a teacher) notified me that we are using Moodle 1.9.2+, so I don't think that might be a problem, but maybe the JSmol filter for Moodle could be.
I will keep looking for an answer or some other alternative that enables me to overcome the inconvenience.

Sergio
In reply to A. Sergio Garay

by A. Sergio Garay -
Hi All
The solution I found was: rename the *.mgf file as *mgf.pdb, and then upload it to Moodle. JSmol does not take into account the extension and correctly detects the file type. I hope it will be useful to someone.
Sergio
Average of ratings: Useful (2)