Students take attendance for thier colleagues

Students take attendance for thier colleagues

by Alaa Shaheen -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

I have Moodle server hosted in the cloud and we are accessing it from the university using one IP address which is the firewall IP address. accordingly I can't enable the attendance plugin feature of preventing students from not sharing the IP address.

the students scan the QR code, attend themselves and attend thier colleagues.

can can we prevent this? please help

Thank You

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alaa Shaheen

Re: Students take attendance for thier colleagues

by Acqua Alta -
1. A student can record only the attendance of himself/herself, so if they are doing it for other students, that means they are sharing usernames and password. No?
If that's the case, this a more serious problem than just recording attendance for other students.

2. You can set the QR code to rotate, and rotate fast enough so hopefully students won't be fast enough to share it effectively.
See the following settings in the Site Administration -> Plugins -> Activity modules -> Attendance area:
Rotate QR code/password interval (seconds) [attendance | rotateqrcodeinterval]
Rotate QR code/password expiry margin (seconds) [attendance | rotateqrcodeexpirymargin]

Of course you have to set the QR to rotate in the activity itself.

If you don't have this option and settings, maybe you are using an old version of the "Attendance" plugin.

3. If your students attend the campus physically, and you're not already using this option, check the  "Require network address" [attendance | subnet] option and related settings. This way you can limit student to record attendance only while being connected to the campus Wi-Fi, for example.

In reply to Acqua Alta

by Alaa Shaheen -
Hi

Yes the students are sharing thier user name and password
we already implemented the QR code rotation every two minutes and the margin 1 minutes
we already implemeted " require network address" and they can sign from the campus only

still have the problem that they sign for each other as they are sharing thier user names and passwords together. how this can be fixed ?
In reply to Alaa Shaheen

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
you should be able to modify your firewall to pass through unique IP addresses to the server via extra headers - take a look at the discussion here for some tips on it and how to configure Moodle to find the correct unique address:
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=385061

But... that doesn't stop students bringing multiple devices and recording attendance for themselves on one phone... and attendance for their mate on another phone... Phones are pretty cheap, I have a drawer full of old devices here myself...

The other thing you can consider to make it harder would be to implement 2FA for your students - requiring them to login with a second factor - not just a password - your existing identity provider might already have this functionality, otherwise you could use our MFA plugin:
https://moodle.org/plugins/tool_mfa

One of the things I've thought about in the past is to somehow re-trigger the MFA token request on the take attendance page but that would require some development.

but.. to be honest - the students will probably find a way around it - all you can do is make it harder.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)