H5P Crossword

H5P Crossword

by sushumna rao -
Number of replies: 13

Anyone tried H5P.  Crossword in Moodle Content bank?

When I create it says "Could not generate a crossword. You need at least two words." Though I have given all the words and clues. 

I tried uploading sample content, that worked fine. But when I tried editing the sample, it is not taking the words I typed. Clues it is taking. After saving the answer words are same as sample words. 

Moodle version using is Moodle 3.10.6+ (Build: 20210805) and our hosting provider is Moodle Parner Vidyamantra- http://www.keytoschool.com/.

thanks in advance.

Sushumna.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sushumna rao

Re: H5P Crossword

by Oliver Tacke -
Hi Sushumna!

H5P doesn't care what platform you're running it on, so Crossword also runs fine using moodle's integration. You can use https://sandbox.moodledemo.net/ as reference.

Crossword does not work with languages that use graphemes (=combination of glyphs (=multiple symbols forming one single character)) to display text, e. g. Telugu. Could this be the cause?

Best,
Oliver
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Oliver Tacke

by sushumna rao -
Thanks Oliver for the reply.

I am using English. And tried in https://sandbox.moodledemo.net/ too as suggested. Same error I got after creating Cross word, it says " Could not generate a crossword. You need at least two words.".

* Tried in Drupal too! Same error.

* Tried in H5P.org (https://h5p.org/node/1244358) same error.
In reply to sushumna rao

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Are you sure you are using enough words in the crossword? I went on sandbox.moodle.demo.net and was able to create an H5P crossword sucessfully.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by sushumna rao -
Dear Mary Cooch,

Yes I gave enough words. Did you try in https://sandbox.moodledemo.net/? First Course ?
I tried and even uploading example content downloaded from H5P.org and editing it.
Please watch the process I followed :- (I embedded a video and its not showing after saving, so given the link too)

In reply to sushumna rao

by Oliver Tacke -
All the fields of the five words in the H5P content that you linked to are empty. I don't doubt that you have entered something!

What were your words and clues?

If your parameters don't get saved at all, that means there's something strange going on in the H5P editor library, not in Crossword.

I am not sure how versed you are with "playing around" with browsers. Do you have Chrome available? When in the editor, could you press F12 to open the development tools. You should be able to find the "console" if it's not open already. It has an option to "preserve the log" or named similarly. That should be checked. Then enter what you have entered and save the content. Anything "weird" written to the console (in red)? Feel free to record that process and to provide the recording video, too.
In reply to Oliver Tacke

by sushumna rao -
Hope I followed the instructions, please see the screen capture attached.

I gave Clues and answers like 

Smell- Nose
Taste-Tongue
Hearing - Ear
Sight - Eye 

I tried all caps answers too!

In reply to sushumna rao

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Now that is interesting - that you have "Word" that seems empty. Because when I made my test H5P it happened to me too a few times - I removed them and kept the ones which had actuallly saved with names. It is as if sometimes it saves your word and clue and sometimes it doesn't. I know what you mean now but don't understand why.
In reply to sushumna rao

by Oliver Tacke -
Those words work fine here.

Again: on your end, the H5P editor doesn't store any parameters for the `clue` or the `answer`. That's what I can see by checking the content that you provided on h5p.org. Crossword isn't involved in this parameter storing process at all. That's done by the H5P editor core. Crossword then gets parameters without any clue or an answer and does the best it can: Tell you that there are not enough words to build a crossword.

Please check the development console log as I suggested. Otherwise I have no clue and no answer wink

If there’s nothing in there, if possible in any way, please also check the server's PHP error log or ask some admin to check it for error messages around the time you saved the content.

You might also want to get in touch with the H5P core team as this supposedly is something related to the H5P editor core. They'll need the console/PHP error log as well, however.
In reply to sushumna rao

by Oliver Tacke -
Sorry, had not seen the repy with your video before.

Nothing in the JavaScript console (which is weird). Then the PHP error log is the last resort before one would need to be able to recreate the problem first and then try to find the cause in the code.
In reply to Oliver Tacke

by sushumna rao -
Sorry to say No PHP errors shown. Tried to see in Moodle PHP logs.
In reply to sushumna rao

by Oliver Tacke -
Sorry, I don't know what Moodle PHP logs are. The webserver (Apache, nginx, whatever is used) should keep track of PHP errors in a dedicated log file. But if there's nothing logged on the server, then I am out of clues. One would need to be able to a) reproduce what you are experiencing (which would probably require information about your exact setup - operating system (what version), browser (what version), language and keyboard settings in the OS, etc.) and then to b) debug the flow of the input from the H5P editor until it ends up in the database.
In reply to Oliver Tacke

by sushumna rao -
Thank you for the support Oliver Tacke.

Actually I am using MAC with latest Chrome browser. As I did not find any issue that is really triggering anywhere, I tried other ways.

I used Windows machine and surprisingly🙂 it worked. 

Also I used Firefox and tried creating crossword in h5p.org it worked. So I thought my Chrome is not up to date in MAC I updated, still did not work there. 

I am using MAC laptop with OS Monterey 12.1 (21C52). 

So as of now it works for me in Windows.  with Chrome. And also in Firefox browser in MAC.

Thank you once again for follow up.
In reply to sushumna rao

by Oliver Tacke -

Would be great if you added some more information about your Mac configuration.

I don't own one, but I ran a test on browserstack where I unfortunately only have limited options for configuration of the OS...

• Browser: Chrome 97 Version 97.0.4692.71 (Official Build) (x86_64)
  • MacOS language setting: English
  • Keyboard layout: German and English
Worked like a charm. Same on Safari 15.1 Version 15.1 (17612.2.9.1.20).

Seems to really be some weird bug in between your setup and the H5P editor. Hopefully someone can reproduce it.