Google document converter problem

Google document converter problem

by Diane Soini -
Number of replies: 4

We are seeing intermittent google document conversion problems. I've bumped up the conversion attempts to 10 just in case that helps.

We are seeing that a student may upload a file to their assignment (seems always to happen with docx files) and it will not convert. If I download the file and use it in a test course on the same system as an assignment submission, the file may convert, or it may not convert. The problem is intermittent and random and it appears not to have a reason.

Any thoughts on what might be the background issue here? Is there any way to test and see error output? This is very frustrating.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Diane Soini

Re: Google document converter problem

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Take it that the uploaded .docx is 'plain jane' ... or is it?

Login to Google Drive using the system account setup you see in Moodle.

Upload this troubled Word Doc and see if you can convert right in Google Drive using that system account.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Diane Soini -
That's the frustrating thing. It's intermittent. We've all been able to download these documents and turn them into other assignments with test accounts and sometimes we see failure to convert and sometimes they convert just fine. I wish there was a way to force moodle to see these assignments as new again and try again.
In reply to Diane Soini

by Diane Soini -
We've gotten closer to figuring this out. It appears that documents will not convert if the assignment has both online text and files checked.
In reply to Diane Soini

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Version of Moodle?   ... as well as typical tech info ... PHP version, running what as web service, etc, etc.   How many servers do you have in "GauchoSpace"?

Have you checked server error logs at times when doc conversion fails?

Scheduled Task
Prepare submissions for annotation \assignfeedback_editpdf\task\convert_submissions
Set to run /15 by default - yours?

Have 'run now' link there?

Is cron job and adhoc task running as expected?

'SoS', Ken