Paypal Enrolment - stop new people from paying, without suspended existing users?

Paypal Enrolment - stop new people from paying, without suspended existing users?

by Dave Foord -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have a lot of courses set up that use the Paypal enrolment mechanism, and I want to stop new people from enrolling onto these courses via Paypal, but I don't want to suspend/remove any existing users. If I delete or suspend the Paypal mechanism within these courses, it naturally unenrols or suspends any users that have enrolled via that method.

Is there anyway to stop new people from paying, without suspending existing users?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Foord

Re: Paypal Enrolment - stop new people from paying, without suspended existing users?

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
It’s early so my brain hasn’t woken up properly yet, but two thoughts:

1. Hide the PayPal enrolment link using CSS; maybe also change the PayPal email address.

2. Download the current enrolments, add them to a cohort and do a cohort sync enrolment back into the course. Then disable the PayPal enrolment.

There may well be easier/better ways.
In reply to Jon Bolton

Re: Paypal Enrolment - stop new people from paying, without suspended existing users?

by Dave Foord -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Jon, thanks for replying to this.

In my case, I still want the Paypal to work on new courses, I just want it turned off on last years courses - so I don't think the CSS option would work, as would hide the link on all courses.

I did think about the cohort option, but I have a lot of courses to do this on (about 300), and when users access a course, they get 1 year from time of purchase before they are suspended (which paypal handles really nicely), but the cohort option wouldn't. I could download the users, then re-enrol them manually using a csv file, and set an enrolment date individually, but this would be very time consuming, and the learners would get another 'welcome to the course' email, which would be confusing for them, so trying to avoid this.

I expect I won't be the only person in this situation, so wonder if the mechanism could be improved to cover this?