Adaptable Header Search box won't turn off

Adaptable Header Search box won't turn off

by April Hayman -
Number of replies: 7

Moodle version 3.10.3+ (Build: 20210427)

Adaptable version 310_2021022302

Browsers:

• Chrome Version 96.0.4664.110
  • Firefox 94.0.1

Here's the process:

1. Open Site Admin > Appearance > Theme > Adaptable > Settings

2. Click on Header

3. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way to find the Search Box or Social Icons drop-down menu. Set the drop-down to None.

4. Click Save. 

It does not matter if I use the overlay Save button or the Save button at the bottom of the page, it won't save the option. The menu indicates that it has been saved but the search box is still available to the left of the  Header User.

I have cleared the cache on the browser too but that didn't help.

Any thoughts on what is happening and how I may fix it? Thanks!

search  box menu

search in header

Average of ratings: -
In reply to April Hayman

Re: Adaptable Header Search box won't turn off

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Not a problem in 3.10.1.4 (2021022304), as I tested the changes to the search functionality before release.
In reply to April Hayman

by Mark Morgenstern -

I am experiencing a similar problem.  I'm using header 2 for my header style and would like to have the search disabled.

I'm experiencing this problem in this installation:

moodle_version
theme_version

In a previous version I was able to disable the Header 2 search box but that feature seems to be gone now:

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Morgenstern

by April Hayman -
Hmm that's odd because I found that exact menu on the Header tab all the way at the bottom of the page. I switched that to disabled and the search box went away. It seems odd to me that this option affects if the search box is disabled at all, even when marked as None in the Use Search Box or Social Icons. I assumed it would not display at all but it appears that it needs to be disabled completely.
In reply to April Hayman

by Mark Morgenstern -
I'm glad finding that setting has helped you solve your problem.

I'm still having my problem because with the newer version of the theme, 2021081004, I no longer find the option of disabling the header search box when using header style #2.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
The header code was refactored for a client to facilitate an improvement with an additional layout option. This process greatly improved underlying code in terms of increased maintainability and actually facilitated the improvement to be undertaken though the method of 'refactoring' to a point using Mustache where the enhancement could be then viably implemented. The upshot of this being the removal of the header two search disable setting as it was causing a logic contradiction with the other code and settings. Therefore Adaptable has now evolved to the satisfaction of the stakeholders and in a position whereby others are in a better position to customise the code to their needs as required with less technical skills than they required previously in the header functionality component area of the theme.
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mark Morgenstern -
Thanks for the explanation, Gareth! What would be my best pathway to customise the code for my installation? I'm desiring as small a header as possible, thus am using Header2, and I'm having trouble that the search box (which is not needed) is taking up all the space where my course titles need to be, thus causing a wrap.

by Gareth J Barnard -
You're free to modify the code yourself or if you require an enhancement / support from me, then this would be something I'd need to charge for given the time / skill / knowledge involved.