Matching question as multiple choice grid question type and sequencing question as checkbox grid question type

Matching question as multiple choice grid question type and sequencing question as checkbox grid question type

by Dominique Bauer -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

Since the overwhelming majority of questions used in Moodle and other LMS's are of simple types such as multiple choice questions, special consideration should be given to these question types.

Below are two types of questions that can be done with Google Forms and used in Google Classroom: a matching question in the form of a multiple choice grid question type and a sequencing question in the form of a checkbox grid question type. To my knowledge, these types of questions do not exist in Moodle.

Thus, Moodle has already been easily overtaken by Google on these important types of question. This is unacceptable.

Any suggestion? Create these types of question without further ado.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dominique Bauer

Re: Matching question as multiple choice grid question type and sequencing question as checkbox grid question type

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You can use the Word Select question type (https://moodle.org/plugins/qtype_wordselect) to mimic such a question.

Word Select Question type

Or you use the Embed answers (Cloze) with the MC option.

Gapfill question type with dropdown option.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matthias Giger

Re: Matching question as multiple choice grid question type and sequencing question as checkbox grid question type

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Matthias,

Your post reminds me that I had already used a small multiple choice table in an example simulating the Kprime question with the Cloze question (https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=89&section=20 ↗):

The following example is closer to Google's multiple choice grid question. It's done with the Cloze question (https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=89&section=24 ↗).

Authoring the question requires creating a table and using custom format. Although not very difficult for a somewhat advanced user, the question is far too difficult to construct for the average user. The question is actually a workaround rather than a real question. In addition, some options are not easily achievable, such as the random positioning of the elements of the question.

Are mimics of Google Classroom questions good enough? Definitely not.

by Dominique Bauer -

The question below consists of five multiple-choice Cloze questions represented as horizontal rows of checkboxes (MULTIRESPONSE_H or MRH) arranged one above the other in a table.

When the "Check" button is clicked, the checked checkboxes are replaced by the result icons: green check mark for a correct choice, white check mark on black background for a partially correct choice and red cross for an incorrect choice.

Note that in this type of question, the usefulness of partially correct icons is not obvious. If a choice is correct, it should simply be marked as such with a green check mark, even if other choices are incorrect.

The result looks promising to me, but a bit of formatting is required with this workaround approach. Again, given that this type of question seems to be Google's flagship question, it seems to me that Moodle should offer the equivalent question type, or better of course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Dominique Bauer -

by Dominique Bauer -

You can also make radio buttons and checkboxes larger, as well as correct / partially correct / incorrect icons with two lines of CSS or JavaScript equivalent:

table.answer td input {transform: scale(2.0);}
table.answer i.icon {transform: scale(1.5);}

by Dominique Bauer -

Checkboxes also look better when they're bigger. You can easily adjust their size.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Agreed that these question types should be available. We want them at the OU, and very near the top of our todo list is check out the various quetsion types like this that already exist in the plugins DB, and then either start using one (perhaps with some added enhancements) or build our own.

Once a good question type exists, we can consider whether it should be in core. (And, I also thing qtype_ordering should get added to core some time.)

Well done for working out that this can be done with Cloze, but I would worry that the result is not very accessible.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)