Add existing quiz into existing course

Re: Add existing quiz into existing course

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Heleni. When you say "homepage", do you mean the front page of your Moodle site? I would actually put your quiz in a course rather than on the site home page if that is what you meant. Once you have made a course then you can create a new blank quiz in the course. Then go to the original quiz in the site pages and click the edit icon >Export and then you will get a file with the quiz questions from that quiz. Then go into your empty quiz in your course and click Import, and you will be able to bring in those questions.
More information on quizzes here: Quiz activity
(You said it is your first time with 'teacher access' to a site, having presumably been an admin previously? I would advise you to create for yourself a separate teacher account and add it to the courses you want, as it will show you a clearer picture of teacher rights as opposed to admin rights. ?
Also feel free to do our self-paced Moodle Teaching Basics on the site learn.moodle.org (or pick out the bits useful to you.)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Heleni Lindsell -
Hi Mary,

Thank you for your help. I have been able to export fine but when I come to do the import it doesn't get anywhere (see screenshot attached).  It just starts loading and never finishes loading.  The circle just keeps going round.  I have tried several times, one of those times leaving it for over an hour and it still didn't get anywhere.  I used Moodle XML format for the export and Moodle XML format for the import - would you recommend I used a different format?
Attachment for forum.png
In reply to Heleni Lindsell

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Can you upload to other places in your site , other courses, other file types?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Heleni Lindsell -
Hi Mary,

Yes I can. i've just successfully uploaded a .jpg.

by Mary Cooch -
What happens if you try to drag and drop the file instead?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Heleni Lindsell -
interestingly that did seem to make a difference but then it came up with this error attached. so now i'm going to try on the server instead and see if that makes a difference.

Attachment for Mary.jpg
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Heleni Lindsell -
Nope, that isn't working either. still getting error 'error connecting to the server'
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Heleni Lindsell -
Hi Mary, so i have managed to import some of the quiz slides into the course but only the very basic ones are working; i.e. where i have simply put text into the question text box as seen in screenshot attached.  For some of the slides it has pulled through what looks like the audio (just a black rectangle) but then no audio actually plays and it hasn't pulled through the  image for that slide.  Other slides haven't pulled through at all.

Could you help please?
Attachment for forum.jpg

by Mary Cooch -
What do you mean by "quiz slides"? Also , do I assume your quiz questions have audio and images in them? Have you tried GIFT format?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Heleni Lindsell -
by quiz slides I mean quiz questions. the import is not working for the questions where I have inserted a screenshot into the question text such as below. the audio also isn't coming through from question text on import.

Yes I have tried the GIFT format, to no avail.

For the ones that don't import correctly i get a black box per question saying 'The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported'.
Attachment for forum 2.jpg
Attachment The media could not be loaded.jpg
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Heleni Lindsell -
Following on from my last post this screenshot is what happens when i try and import in GIFT format.
Attachment GIFT.jpg

by Mary Cooch -

Ok assuming you have admin access since you added the quiz to the front page, can you access the front page question bank, select and move the questions to the "Default for system" and then go into the course, set up a new empty quiz and from Add a question from the question bank, see if you can locate the questions in Default for system (as I did one question here)...

Attachment systemquestion.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)