mimeTex no images shown!

mimeTex no images shown!

by sean Urr -
Number of replies: 6

Show Image Error:
The shell command
D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.exe ++ -e "D:\Inetpub\wwwroot/moodledata/filter/tex/74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif" "\Large f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt"
returned status = 0
File size of mimetex executable D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.exe is 433152
The file permissions are: 100777
The md5 checksum of the file is 84f9f8c2eb29a52d01b17852cfa58fb6
Image not found!

Check SlashArguments

If the following image displays correctly, set your Administration->Configuration->Variables setting for slasharguments to file.php/pic.jpg: 74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif

Otherwise set it to file.php?file=pic.jpg It should display correctly as pix.php?file=74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif

If neither equation image displays correctly, please seek further help at moodle.org at the Mathematics Tools Forum

The mimeTex ain't work at all in moodle, but I've already give full control permissions for the IUSR_Machinename User, including read and execute.  and  also give full permission to the cmd.exe!!

also, when I type the command D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.exe ++ -e "D:\Inetpub\wwwroot/moodledata/filter/tex/74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif" "\Large f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt"
in the command line, there is a gif file created in the specific directory with a md5 file name, but when I press the key "Show image" again, the file disappeared again,  Why?

How could I solve the problem. thank you~!

My enviroment is  Win2003+IIS6.0.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sean Urr

Re: mimeTex no images shown!

by Davide Cervone -
Well, I can't help you with mimeTeX, but if you can't get it to work, you might consider using the jsMath filter instead. This uses JavaScript in the student's browser to display the mathematics rather than a program on the server that creates images, so there are fewer configuration problems.

Since the jsMath filter is a contributed filter, not one of the ones that is part of the main Moodle distribution, you need to get and install it separately. The latest version is available by CVS at

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/moodle/contrib/jsmath
or you can download the whole thing via:
    http://download.moodle.org/download.php/modules/jsmath.zip
There is a README file that explains how to install and configure the filter.

Hope that helps.

Davide

In reply to sean Urr

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There is a security difficulty with mimetex.exe and Win2003 and IIS. I have not found or heard of a safe work around. It has to do with Windows 2003 not allowing php to use the system command to call the mimetex.exe. Allegedly you have to give execute permissions to IUSR_xxx and then write access to the moodledata/filter/tex directory. That is not a secure setup but it should allow mimetex to work. I am hoping that someone more familiar with Windows 2003 and IIS 6.0 might be able to propose a solution. The same problem also affect aspell. I did appreciate the reference to jsMath and I will be exploring that as an option. I would be interested in feedback from other Windows 2003 IIS 6 users.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by sean Urr -
alright, it seems that I have to use jsMath, but it looks like slower. well, it's alright. thank you all.