Count attempt even if student has not attended the quiz

Count attempt even if student has not attended the quiz

by Mirko Novakovic -
Number of replies: 8

Hello people,

In our organisation we have progress tests. The rule is that, when the student does not show on attempt, it should be counted (as failed) attempt.

I have noticed (correct me if I am wrong) that, by default, Moodle does not count attempt when student doesn't attend quiz. 

Is there a way to change that setting, so that, when the "qiuz timing window" is closed, attempt of those who have not attended is also counted?

Regards,

Mirko

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mirko Novakovic

Re: Count attempt even if student has not attended the quiz

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
"I have noticed (correct me if I am wrong) that, by default, Moodle does not count attempt when student doesn't attend quiz. "
I can confirm that.
"Is there a way to change that setting, so that, when the "quiz timing window" is closed, attempt of those who have not attended is also counted?"
I cannot think of a way, but someone else might think of a work around.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Seems that you want something like MDL-61433. If so, vote on the Tracker item.

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Mirko,

... Moodle does not count attempt when student doesn't attend quiz...

Moodle does not assign a mark of '0' for unattempted quizzes but it keeps track of them. In the gradebook, unattempted quizzes are identified as such but when summing results they count for '0'. So you get the best of both worlds, unattempted quizzes are identified as such in the gradebook and they also count for '0'.
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
An empty grade is a grade which is missing from the gradebook. It may be from an assignment submission which has not yet been graded or from a quiz which has not yet been attempted etc.

This setting determines whether empty grade are not included in the aggregation or are counted as minimal grades, for example 0 for an assignment graded between 0 and 100.

So all you need to do is include empty grades in the gradebook. See for example ...Grade category / Aggregation / Show more... at https://qa.moodledemo.net/grade/edit/tree/category.php?courseid=2&id=2&gpr_type=edit&gpr_plugin=tree&gpr_courseid=2

by Rick Jerz -
Dominique, I wonder if this is what Mirko wants?

In my own case, I prefer to "Exclude empty grades" because if a student hasn't attempted the quiz yet, and the due date has not expired, if I don't exclude the blank it gets counted as a zero, even though there is more time for the student to do this. Effectively, I think the students see their "worst" grade in the grade book instead of their best.

What the MDL item is suggesting, I think, is that "after the quiz expires" that blank grades should become zero.

Right now, the easiest way to manually do this is that after the expiration (due) date, got to the grade book, single view, find the quiz, and override all blanks with zeros.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dominique Bauer -
Hello Rick,

Judging from Mirko's posts, you surely understood better than I did. I mentioned including empty grades just in case. Personally, I would still like to be able to differentiate between a quiz that has been attempted and finished say without answering any question, resulting in a '0' score, from a quiz that has not been attempted at all, resulting in no grade.

Thank you very much for your post.

by Rick Jerz -
No problem, and we might still hear from Mirko. Your post kept me sharp. I had to go back and review the grade book! Then I realized, "been there, done that."

It seems to me that this request has been around for a long time. Other LMSs seem to have this feature. I don't understand, from a programming point of view, why this would be hard to implement. All that is needed is another condition "Make empty grades be zero after due date," and a little bit of code, "if blank and today_date is greater than due_date, make zero." But as a non-php programmer, things always seem easier than they are.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)