"Mark As Done" button - Moodle 3.11.3

"Mark As Done" button - Moodle 3.11.3

by Dave Emsley -
Number of replies: 52

I am currently exasperated at this change to the UI and am looking to remove it from a number of sites for clients who are as furious about it as I am.

Having written user guides for teachers and students to then change it is really not helpful - sorry Moodle HQ.

• Is there any way to revert back to the sensible and understandable check box?
  • If I hide it with CSS (not idea) is the functionality retained?  If so how and where?
  • I'm currently using
    [data-region="completion-info"] {
        display: none;
    }

Thanks

Dave

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
In reply to Dave Emsley

Re: "Mark As Done" button - Moodle 3.11.3

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Thanks for keeping this discussion going.  It seems to me that getting back to a reasonable checkbox interface should be one of the highest priorities for Moodle 4.  Right now, Tracker has it tagged as a "minor" improvement.  Nope, it's big-time "fix it as soon as possible."

For others, see and vote for MDL-71856.
Average of ratings:Useful (4)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Joost Elshoff -
Just a few thoughts on this subject:

Change is never an easy thing - if you've grown accustomed to seeing the manual completion checkboxes in the right margin of your course page, the switch to 'more user-friendly' clickable buttons is a big one. Also, it takes up plenty of space on the course page, which may result in a bit of a cluttered course, with various cues for users, who don't exactly know where to click next...

Why were there so many manual completion checkboxes in the first place? - If your course's right margin was filled with manual completion checkboxes, but you're now confronted with an interface that changed quite drastically, you could start by rethinking the purpose of these boxes first. The default setting in Moodle for activity completion is to manually mark as complete, even if this doesn't really make sense: this is added to labels, uploaded file resources, pages, books, URLs as well as all other activities or resources you may have. Taking the time to properly set up the activity completion default settings as well as their implementation at course level, is something that can reduce clutter in your course. The tools are there, both for site admins and for course owners.

There are settings in 3.11 and onwards (I think) allowing you to hide or display completion conditions for activities on the course page. This way, the conditions themselves would only be displayed after opening an activity or resource you'd want to track for completion. Although this doesn't affect the manual completion, it does help you create a cleaner course page.

There's even a nice article on Moodle.com dedicated to this topic (among other).

And finally: some 3.11 themes still use their own take on the checkboxes instead of the buttons that are becoming the standard...
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Rick Jerz -
Joost, thanks for your added thoughts.

In my courses, I use the "manual completion" checkboxes for almost every resource and activity (some resources URL I have Moodle check). This is because for almost all quizzes, I allow "unlimited attempts" and therefore it is only the student who knows when they are done. Also, for forum posts, students can make more than the minimum until the due date, so again, only they know when they are done. And for Assignments, students can resubmit up to the due date, so again, only they know when they are done. In my one course, I have about 74 checkboxes!

The checkbox feature for Moodle is so important that I would ask instructors "Why aren't you using more checkboxes."  At Moodlemoots, when students present what they like (and don't like) about Moodle, checkboxes receive positive comments.  My guess is that some instructors (like myself at one point in time) don't use checkboxes because activity completion is not automatically enabled by Moodle.  So having a feature whereby students can keep track of what they have done should be a fundamental feature of any LMS.

In my feature request, I am proposing that both Manual completion checkboxes and system-level checkboxes, be incorporated into Moodle 4.0. I even provided some "graphics" suggestions.

Yes, there are some settings in Moodle 3.11 to hide some of the big "Mark as done" boxes, but not for all situations. For example, if you use a URL Resource and show it on a new page, if you apply Manual completion, that big box will show itself regardless of whether or not you have hidden activity completion. And there are a few more "exceptions."

Yes, some themes might modify the checkboxes, but at this point in time, many of the popular theme folks don't have much to show because we are still waiting to see all the changes in Moodle 4.0. And why should we have to use a special theme when something is so important to core Moodle. Yes, you might say it is not that important, but Moodle's checkboxes have been around for many years (maybe back to Moodle 2.0 or so), and now they are being removed and replaced with a clumsy and inconsistent UI.

Well, some of this is the basis for the MDL-71856 feature request.
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Joost et al,

I have just had a read of the article on Moodle.com that you linked to and it makes interesting reading... However a number of the suggestions are somewhat impractical and to expect users to completely redesign their course structure to fit in with the new UX seems a little unreasonable to say the least...

From my perspective the real issue with the new completion indication method is the tremendous amount of extra vertical screen estate that it is going to take up. I have many courses where each topic is a complete unit, which consists of between 6 and 13 lessons. Each individual lessons may well have 4 - 8 different resources linked within it. With this many resources in a single topic, the new completion indication method is going to increase my unit length by 2 - 4 times in length... I really fail to see how this can be plugged as a user interface advancement from Moodle HQ; and I am afraid that the suggestions in the blog post really just feel like UX designers trying to convince us that it is our issue and their design which is at fault!

I am certainly in no hurry to update to Moodle 3.11 or Moodle 4.0 until this mess is resolved!
Average of ratings:Useful (4)
In reply to Jon Witts

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> I am certainly in no hurry to update to Moodle 3.11 or Moodle 4.0 until this mess is resolved!

Same here. Judge for yourself.

Attachment texteditor1.png
Attachment texteditor2.png
Average of ratings:Useful (5)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Our case is even worse as in the past we used the checkboxes to allow students to access materials which are suitable for their level by providing labes which say:

• I want to view only basic content.
  • I want to view more sophisticated content.

Having such checkboxes transformed into a buttons with a "Mark as done" label completely defies our original intention.

Apart from that, I agree that cluttering a page with additional elements which need a lot of space is unfortunate. But I guess that when you are designing an interface your course only consists of a few items and not hundreds of them like in our courses.

BTW, we use a lot of CSS to mitigate the worst aspects of the new interface.

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
In reply to Matthias Giger

by Rick Jerz -
Thanks for your post, Matthias.
You probably know to vote for MDL-71856 if you have not already done so.

Some of the problems can be fixed with CSS, in Moodle 3.11. But what I do to fix these problems in 3.11 might not work in Moodle 4.0. For example, I have tried my fixes and they don't work in Moodle 4.0.  Ben Haensel (in MDL-71856) described one technique of using the old code. But this code has been removed from Moodle 4.0 (AFAIK) so even Ben's solution will not be possible.  Matthias, I am not sure which version of Moodle you have made a lot of CSS additions, but you might have to redo this in Moodle 4.0.

In reply to Rick Jerz

FYE (For Your Envy)

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

by Rick Jerz -
But I don't think that this is Moodle 4.0. Perhaps Mary is using a different version of Moodle. I just upgraded my experimental Moodle 4.0 and those check-circles are not implemented. Might Mary be using Moodle Workplace and/or some custom theme?

by Josh Manders -

Mission Accomplished. The minimalist in my soul is satisfied 🤤 What did you choose to do with the "Move" icon when in edit mode? 

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
From what I've seen of Moodle 4 it's just the beginning.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm just copying the comment I made it that ticket. I don't mind the change - I do mind the fallout from the change because it doesn't just involve me in my (very large) institution.

"I wanted to ask if all the UI testing was done with new, empty courses or with horrible old ones that have been accumulating material for years?

We have hundreds of courses were the course (despite advice to the contrary) has basically been build on the course page itself. I'm genuinely worried that we're going to get loads of horrified users (and that's support tickets for me).

If the various University committees that worry about these things get cold feet and we think Moodle 4.0 means rebuilding courses from scratch then the inevitable next step is "should we consider alternative solutions" and we'll end up running Canvas or something.

It's absolutely vital that HQ has considered the migration from the previous "look". If the prevailing attitude - and I don't know - is "they'll just have to catch up" then it's going to be a disaster."
Average of ratings:Useful (7)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Rick Jerz -
Howard, thanks for these thoughts from you. Somewhere in that Tracker MDL-71856 item I created, I mention that the Activity Completion changes are a step "backward," making Moodle less capable. Canvas does not have checkboxes for students to keep track of their progress in a course, yet it (meaning the addition of checkboxes) was a very popular request from the Canvas community.  Canvas doesn't care about community feature requests, so nothing has been done about this request even after four years.  (The Canvas organization doesn't think students need to keep track of their progress!)

Therefore, when Moodle removes features, it indirectly makes "competitor" products look better.

Moodle 4.0's default should be to do Activity Complete exactly as it did in Moodle 3.10.  The newer method should be something that the instructor should enable if desired.  This perspective would support what you are saying.

(It appears that I was able to change the Priority for MDL-71856 from "minor" to "major."  Let's see if this change persistss.)
In reply to Rick Jerz

All my Moodle instances are 3.9 (LTS). The screen-shot I posted https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=429960#p1730231 is one of my courses restored in a 3.11, where I am a guest. I couldn't believe my eyes. It is not only about almost doubling the length of the course homepage. it also disperses a set of closely related learning activities. The first thing I did was to unset all the activity completions.

I wonder what ignited this brilliant idea?

by Rick Jerz -
It appears that different "programmers" take different perspectives about the various Moodle components that they oversee. Tim, as an example, who is involved in the Question Bank feature, will commonly post new ideas in the Moodle.org forums about new ideas, soliciting comments. For this change in Activity Completion (for 4.0), I don't recall anything being discussed with the community prior to it showing up in Moodle 3.11. Well, I could have missed it.

The odd thing is that Rafael, in his first post to me (and the first to post in Tracker) questions if I had done some testing to support the current Activity Completion method. Well, this is an odd question. The answer could have been "Yes, it has been tested by the Moodle community since Moodle 2.0." He, of course, should have been asking the UI developers his question, not me. Oh well.

In Sander's post in Tracker, he points to the MUA. I never saw anything, and I am an MUA member.

The discussion in the Tracker item has been lively and informative. I don't detect any strong support for this change.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Howard Miller -
I think it's fair enough the HQ appear to have done usability testing. It's often surprising to see what the feedback is from actual users.

However, my big worry is how well will this migrate from existing Moodle sites. I'm really sorry to have to say this but I don't really trust the core Moodle devs in this respect. With the caveat that I don't know what they did or didn't do, I'd be surprised if anybody went out and got a representative sample of running courses to see how they work in 4.0. If somebody had asked me I'd be more than happy to help.

I also wonder what it all does to optional course formats. A lot of my users are firmly wedded to things like grid format. If that breaks horribly then we have (another) big problem.

I can think of a few things that were released before they were complete and thought through - the course overview block, for example. I just hope this isn't more of the same.
In reply to Howard Miller

The assumption here is that this "Mark as done" button in 3.11 will appear also in 4.x. I don't know the answer. If the answer is No, then we are talking about two different things.

BTW UX in 4.x was the main topic of the Developer meeting two days ago: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Developer_meeting_December_2021.

by Rick Jerz -
I just upgraded my experimental site to Moodle 4.0dev+ (Build: 20211214). From my previous experimental Moodle 4.0, I notice that the Activity Completion information, when shown on the course page, has been moved to the right. The "Mark as Done" button is still much bigger than the old checkbox, which I don't see as a UX improvement. And if you have multiple criteria set for an activity (which I seldom do) it all appears to the right. Below I show how much space this new UX takes compared to my current (Moodle 3.11 with fixes.)

Perhaps the good news is that someone is listening and trying some changes.  The "Mark as Done" button is now to the right.
Attachment Side by Side.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

Moodle 4.0 course homepage

Moodle 4.0 course homepage is highly informative and super scattered.

I am the wrong person to discuss UX. My usual plea is, "Get out of my way!" But that's me. Here, I just want to separate the two topics. I gave this new topic a new subject, in case the moderator wants to split the discussion (at your post, I would think).

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Is there any way not to display the activity type along with its name in Moodle 4.0?

That really seems like unneeded information; after all isn't that what the icons are there for? It is also increasing every activity on the course page to lines rather than one...
In reply to Jon Witts

by Rick Jerz -
Jon, I have the same question. I am not sure when the "words" got added to the right of the icon. It must have been a recent "improvement." Perhaps for some kind of "accessibility" reason, such as screen readers not being about to detect the type of activity.

I did attempt to remove it with some CSS, but didn't have any success. If anyone else has any ideas, let me know.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Jon Witts -
I am pretty sure that the icon will already have had an alt description attached to it, so I am not sure the accessibility reason would really stand up too well... 🤔
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Josh Manders -
We're using OpenLMS to host and this caught them off guard as well. Unfortunately with v3.11 rolling to production on Dec. 30th, there's not much they feel they can do and are not wanting to invest resources in maintaining a forked version from Moodle HQ given that 4.0 is around the corner. I'm getting shrugs from people who don't really see how it drastically changes the navigation of a course — let alone the functionality. So frustrating and completely avoidable if UX designers saw the impact of the change to actual courses!

Part of what kills me is that when we set the defaults for Activity Completion, we choose to enable manual completion options for a handful of activity types (url, webpage, book). As others have pointed out, this is really helpful for students (feedback proves it) who are trying to track their own progress through materials.

However if our instructors don't like the manual button on every activity, I can't make changes to the defaults and have them recursively change all courses. It's a course by course fix or a major database change. To be fair, this is the case for any changes to activity completion defaults but I'm left wondering what action to take over the next 2 weeks of holiday time. Do I prep our users (who won't be reading email) of the "hey, surprise!!"? Do I turn off the checkboxes completely in the course homepage as Dave above might do?

Thanks @Visvanath for posting before vs after. Hard to capture the scroll of death in a single image but if I could, it'd be attached to this post wink

-Josh
In reply to Josh Manders

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I'm just posting to remind people that, rather than disabling activity completion completely, you can remove many of the "Mark as done" buttons and all of the requirements on the main course page from the Settings >Completion tracking> Show activity completion conditions >No. This then removes (most of ) them from the main course page while keeping them visible within the activities. However, I fully accept that, as Rick says, URLs, uploaded files, still have the Mark as done button on the main course page (for reasons of how they may be displayed). 
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, Mary, true. If you switch the Show Activity Completion settings to "No" you get right of not only the text that shows the Activity Completion criteria, but also the checkboxes.

In my Tracker MDL, I propose something new... that the ability to allow students to manually check off what they believe they have completed should be separated from the system (i.e., Moodle) checking off item. I suspect that some don't see what I am saying, but I do believe that this is the right time to do this. Let students check off items, and let the system check off items. Both are helpful. An example is that the student submits a quiz, feels they are done, and checks the checkbox as "done." However, if this quiz contains essay questions, the "system" is not done until the instructor grades the essay questions. Once the essay questions are graded, the student sees that this quiz is completely done.  I wouldn't mind if this new approach was delayed for Moodle 4.1, but the need for this is highlighted as Moodle 4.0 is trying to show more activity completion conditions.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jon Witts -
The problem with this method of trying to resolve the problem Mary, is that we are losing functionality for the students as they can no longer see from the course page what the completion status of the activities is.

Personally; I set my courses up so that only those activities I am interested in having completion status showing do (quizzes, assignments, LTI etc.). This then reduces the amount of time for me to set the activities and also allows for consistency across the activities. Hiding the completion status from the front page is not something I want to do; however I also do not want to length of my course pages to dramatically increase because of this new block-based layout with everything underneath the activity...
In reply to Jon Witts

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In terms of hiding the completion requirements on the course page but with them still showing within the activity, that will be improved in Moodle 4.0 by the coloured circles over on the left in the course index. (Although that is not a solution for 3.11, I agree)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -
Mary, so far, that left-side "course index" thing does not correctly show the status of a student who clicked on a URL that shows a web page unless you use "Manually check." And there are some other inconsistencies.

I would like to see "Students can manually mark the activity as completed" separated from "Show activity as completed when..." These are two different needs.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Rick. Can you explain what you mean by "Mary, so far, that left-side "course index" thing does not correctly show the status of a student who clicked on a URL that shows a web page unless you use "Manually check." And there are some other inconsistencies."? To me, whether a URL is manually or automatically completed, the circle changes to green to show it is completed,
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -
Mary, as I explored this issue, you are correct, the left-side status IS correctly displayed. What I discovered is that "Manually Mark" immediately changes the left-side status, whereas "View URL" requires the course page to be refreshed. After revisiting (or refreshing) the web page, the status is correct. Here are two images showing this (before and after). So I stand corrected. Sorry about that.
Attachment URL Status01.png
Attachment URL Status02.png
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -
Here is a mockup of what I mean when I suggest allowing students to manually mark a task as complete along with allowing the system to mark activity completion. The picture shows a very simple change: A checkbox that includes "Students can manually mark the activity as completed" along with the others. Perhaps when checked, a checkbox appears to the right (or left) of the activity name. Then, perhaps either words or that left course index stuff could reflect "system" activity completion events.
Attachment Activity_Completion_Mockup01.jpg
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jon Witts -
Mary,

But none of this addresses the issue of the vast increase in vertical space that this new interface is creating in both 3.11 and 4.0.

These UI changes are going to hugely increase the scroll of death that so many have tried to fight against in their courses for so long already...
In reply to Jon Witts

by Rick Jerz -
I am able to tighten up the spacing with the following CSS (added to Boost). I do not yet know how to get rid of those activity names. I would like my course page to be even tighter.

/* Tighten up and improve every activity and resource. */
.activity-item:not(.activityinline) {
padding: 0rem;
margin: 0;
}

/* Tighten up line spacing */
body {
line-height: 1.25rem;
}
In reply to Jon Witts

by Josh Manders -
100% Jon.
In Moodle v4, it appears that every activity is the vertical size of a typical block. Nice to see the activity completion indicated via color in the LH flyout but doesn't do much to solve current issues. I've smashed some CSS into our Boost Theme that improves upon our current 3.11 predicament coupled with a language string modification for consistency sake. I'm not a programmer but the following bit of code is included for reference.

/*  12/14/21 v3.11 update - Activity Completion style changes + btn */
/*  This overrides the course "show activity completion conditions" setting. It removes "Mark as done" buttons from activities. This hides ALL completion information*/

/* Regain some horizontal space */
.section li.activity.hasinfo {
border-bottom: 0rem;
padding-top: 0rem;
padding-bottom: 0.5rem;}

.automatic-completion-conditions .badge {
    font-size: 90%;
}
/* Manual completion button formatting - clicked + unclicked */
button[data-toggletype="manual:mark-done"] {
    border-style: dashed;
    padding: 0rem 0.35rem;
    margin-bottom: 0.5rem;
    border-radius: 0.25rem!important;
}
button[data-toggletype="manual:undo"] {
    padding: 0rem 0.35rem;
    margin-bottom: 0.5rem;
    border-radius: 0.25rem!important;
} 
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 3.45.28 PM.png
In reply to Josh Manders

by Rick Jerz -
Josh, good to see your post. It seems that improving upon M3.11 is doable, as you have done, and as I have done.

There are several things to note:
1) M4.0 isn't like M3.11 anymore. The current development release has shifted activity completion stuff from below each activity to the right side.
2) I am finding that CSS that I applied to M3.11 most frequently doesn't work in M4.0.
3) For whatever reason, I am having a harder time in M4.0 finding the elements that I want to change with CSS. Yes, I am using Firefox with its Developer tools, but I just can't isolate the specific elements as easily. The CSS that I provided above does illustrate some CSS that works in both M3.11 and M4.0, and some CSS that does not.

I think that it is safe to say that M3.11 will not have too many other changes. Our challenge seems to be to decide where we want to go over the next year, meaning continue with 3.11 until 4.0 comes together, or jump to 4.0 and live with some undesirable features.

My new courses start in January. I think that I am going to live with 3.11 with a plan to switch to 4.0 either Summer2022 or Fall2022. I will have some months to work with M4.0, and maybe M4.1 will be out before summer.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Jon Witts -
We have made the decision to stay at 3.9 until 4.0 is ready and to look at upgrading to 4.0 over the summer holiday...
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jon Witts -
I still have reservations over the left-hand course index with large courses...

I have many courses which have many activities and resources within each topic (see screen shot for an example).
The left-hand course index is going to be very long to scroll through for students to find anything in...

What would be really useful would be if labels within topics were treated as sub-folders within the course index and students could expand and collapse the labels to show just the resources and activities within them... Or even better still would be the ability to have more than one level of folder / label / topic within a Moodle course! big grin

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Rick Jerz -
I have noticed in the current development release of Moodle 4 that the left-side (collapsible) index can have each topic collapsed. I am not sure if this is a "new" feature, but it does help, just as Moodle 4.0 finally allows topics to be collapsed (somewhat like Gareth's Collapsed Topics.)

When 4.0 was putting all that Activity Completion information under the Activity/Resource name, I had suggested that perhaps the activity/resource name have a drop-down icon to hide/unhide this information. But in a course with many items, this could get some students dizzy.

Below is an example of what I see in M4.0 (with just a little of my own CSS modifying a few things.)

Attachment index.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -
Just FYI the QA site is now showing the new activity icons (I noticed it myself as my dev site needs to catch up, and I see yours still shows the old icons Rick.)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -
Ah, I see, Mary. I guess that the development release of M4.0 will be updated very soon since it's about 5 days old.

So, to include words, the new icons could perhaps look like this:

Attachment icon new.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

Hi Rick, Mary, Jon and all

This sub-thread is not about the '"Mark As Done" button - Moodle 3.11.3' as the subject line says rather about a new UX in coming Moodle rel. 4, right?

by Mary Cooch -
@Visvanath and others - to discuss displaying the activity type and other Moodle 4.0 UX issues, please go to the split post: Displaying the activity type in Moodle 4.0.
In reply to Mary Cooch

Thanks, Mary for your quick response!

I don't know, a holy man long, long ago said, the most difficult thing in this world is to differentiate between two things.

This original thread is beyond repair, I'm afraid. In any case, I would be much happier if I manage to stay out of GUI, newly called UX, topics.
In reply to Dave Emsley

by Stéphane VAN NEROM -
I faced the issue of having the "Mark as done" button or completion info below the contents makes the content very long to scroll down. The, i was looking for a way to move those informations on the right of the content information. I used the Fordson template and the following CSS code in the field "RAW initial SCSS" of Site Administration/Appearance/Fordson/Colours :

.activity-information {
float: right;
}

Hope this can be useful for somebody !
In reply to Stéphane VAN NEROM

by Davin Scampton -
Hiya All
Again, think I may be coming late to the party but possibly a solution to some of the comments above (although it does not remove either names of Activities/resources, nor the size of the 'I've done it' box).

Make all lessons, including metalanguage and instructions, in Books. Have one Book for each week/lesson/topic (your choice) in one section. Stealth all resources in separate sections below and link them to the books. You can make it pretty etc whilst providing students with a pedagogical process to follow and therefore reducing extrinsic cognitive loading. It also keeps the course neat, minimalist, uncluttered, text free (no need to write masses on the course face) and easily navigated.
However, what I think is the issue here is the 'Im done' stuff - we used a checklist - it is a little clunky and the colours are a bit on the bright side, and needs to played with before it works right. But once done, it was very useful. Add the checklist to each of the resources sections below the lessons and, with activity completion on, students (and teachers) can see what has been accessed or completed at a glance. Teachers can choose what is shown or recorded. We used it for attendance, students would complain that they were there in the remote classes, but having told them to do XYZ by x no of hours after class - being able to provide the screenshot in about 7 seconds soon had them working a smidgen harder ;)

https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_checklist

Hope that that helps
In reply to Davin Scampton

What a party it had been! Flying cream pies and all.
;)

You've found this thread through this post https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=439749#p1770297, I guess. In that sense the party is still going on.

Now seriously, are you suggesting that people need to choose different (less) activities and put them in to check list activities to avoid these shouting "Mark as done", glaring icons, forced resource names, etc.? Are you aware that people upgrade their courses over the years and the vast majority of courses in use today were created pre-4.0? Are you asking the teachers to re-do their courses, to hide the complications of a "beauty operation"?

by Davin Scampton -
Good Morning
No, I am not 'seriously' suggesting that you do anything. However, it is an option that I have found to be pedagogically more appropriate and would address some of the issues being discussed in this forum.
There would be no need to change or restrict any activity or resource types, and it is a way to provide greater accessibility in an online course. And the checklist populates itself, teachers remove (one click) items that they do not want to show.
In reply to Dave Emsley

by Kuriko A -

I wasn't sure were to post this, but I thought it might help some people who are using Moodle 4.0 and want to revert back to the old checkbox layout. I've managed to achieve this using CSS and I've attached my CSS code with comments explaining what each line does. I'm using the Adaptable theme, so if you use a different theme, you'll need to update the URL for the checkbox images.  

These customisations work for me because I am only using 'automatic activity completion' in my courses, so I'm not sure how it would work with activities that need to be manually marked as completed by students. But perhaps others can build on this CSS code to achieve that.

I should also mention that when you have multiple criteria set for one activity (e.g. for a quiz, if you have set 'User must view the quiz' and 'User must achieve a passing grade'), you would end up with two checkboxes next to the one activity. So a workaround for this is to hide the icon for the first criterion, and only show the checkbox for the final step you want the user to complete. I was able to do this by finding the relevant activity module numbers using the Inspect tool in my browser. Let's say my quiz was module 5 in the course, you would apply the CSS: 

#module-5 .badge:first-child {display: none;}

Luckily, I only had a few activities in my course, so I was able to easily hide these one by one, but I see how this might not be a practical solution if you have lots of activities with multiple criteria across many courses.