Multiple language in attached files

Multiple language in attached files

by Jesus Ortega Miguel -
Number of replies: 4

I'm trying to filter the content of courses and activities using the language filters so far so good. The issue comes when someone attaches files in an assignment module.

The files are shown with no filter. Is there any implemented way to only show files that are in the user language?

I want only to show the "Archivo_Castellano.gif" to the users with lang=es and "Archivo_Inglés.gif" to users with lang=en

Attachment 2021-12-01 16_37_34-La Palabra que nos lee_ Mi tareaita con muchas cosas.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jesus Ortega Miguel

Re: Multiple language in attached files

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jesus,

The plugin you are looking for is called Restriction by Language. You will find it at:

https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_language

It allows you to control the visibility of activities such as the files, folders and URLs, dependant on the current Moodle user interface (UI) language.

I recommend that you only use it when necessary. The plugin is great, but it does complicate things if you are using course completion at times.

Hope you find this useful.

Best regards,

Michael

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Michael Milette

by Jesus Ortega Miguel -
Thanks Michael for your answer, unfortunately that's an approach very hard to manage due to that implies each activity to be replicated in multiple languages.

I'm trying to find if having a lang filter for the descriptions and content I can have also multiple languages in an assignment but with only one task fully translated.

Hopefully there is a way to do it rather than creating the task with the proper attached files for each language.

I'll continue the research!
In reply to Jesus Ortega Miguel

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Jesus,

You don't need to use this for every activity. Only one like files, folders and URLs because they cannot be made multilingual (actually, I have a patch for URL activities to make them support multi-language).

As for the rest of the activities, you can use the Multi-language Content (v2) filter. It enables you to create multi-language activities using plain text {mlang} tags. Very easy to use.

If you have a bunch of files, you can group them together in a folder or a course section and apply a Restriction by Language.

Best regards,

Michael
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Milette

by Jesus Ortega Miguel -
Hi Michael,

It seems I was overcomplicating the problem, thank you a lot for your support!

Best regards,

Jesús