Martins April Fools joke

Martins April Fools joke

by Bertold Altaner -
Number of replies: 22
... first I got a shock about Matins big news but after a little time I have to laugh out loudbreites Grinsenbreites Grinsenbreites Grinsenbreites Grinsenbreites Grinsenbreites Grinsenbreites Grinsenbreites Grinsen

... but a slight uncertainty is still there...

Bertold
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bertold Altaner

Re: Martins April Fools joke

by Bill White -
Yeah, at first I was thinking OMGsurprise Then I looked at the date and realized what today was.

Cheers Martin!!approve You caught me on that one.black eye

Bill
In reply to Bill White

by David Berry -
Martin.  You shouldn't do that!  I have a very bad heart.

David Berry

by Jamey Barber -
He got me! I almost had a stroke! surprise
For a Mac geek this is cruel and unusual punishment!!

OK, my breathing has slowed down . . . blood pumping fine . . .  and I can see straight again.

It's OK, really, it's OK, it's OK . . . wink

Jamey
In reply to Jamey Barber

by Mark Tyers -
OMG!! surprise

you shouldn't do this to us Martin!

brill joke tho had me fooled for a while big grin

by Colin McQueen -
Got me too surprise
Then I realised  big grin
Then I felt silly blush
Then I started thinking thoughtful

Why did I get fooled so easliy ....?
Perhaps there is a real fear there that dotNET is better? Can someone please help me with a link to a balanced argument on the server technology debate.

Also how do you get different server technologies to interoperate? Is that what web services are for?

I ask because in my role for Hampshire LA I have to help people make decisions about how we support 71 secondaries and over 400 primaries make use of Learning Platforms (LP) when there is already at least half a dozen if not a dozen different server technologies in use providing various bits of LP functionality.
In reply to Colin McQueen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, that is definitely what web services are for and Moodle will have a good implementation of those this year, no question.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Heh heh heh, always nice to get at least one! big grin

I'll include a copy here because I'm going to delete it soon from the site news.

Some big news!

After many requests from our users, and many discussions among the key Moodle developers, we've decided that PHP no longer offers us the growth path we would like, and so we'll be converting the entire code base to use the Microsoft® .NET platform.

We believe this offers the best solution to drive business value and empower our industry to harness the power of the connected workplace.

The conversion - sponsored by Microsoft® - is not easy, but we expect to have the job completed by April 1st, 2007. As part of the arrangement, we'll no longer be supporting Moodle on anything but Microsoft® servers, but they are very good so this shouldn't be a problem.

To the future!
Average of ratings: Very cool (3)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Richard Jones -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Had me going for a couple of minutes before I noticed the posting date;

also the last phrase is just a bit of a give away!

Nice one!

Richard

In reply to Richard Jones

by Martin Dougiamas -
And "We believe this offers the best solution to drive business value and empower our industry to harness the power of the connected workplace" wasn't a giveaway? Man, we must be really used to reading marketing jargon (or glossing over it) wink

by W Page -

Shocker!! smile big grin

WP1

Attachment Martin_April_01_2006.jpg
In reply to W Page

by James Greene -
You had me going for a while Martin. Please disregard the private message I sent you about this matter. You are quite the jokesterwink

by A. H. -
That was ... smile. Dont know what to say! We have moodle running on Windows 2003 and wanted to move to linux. So,I already registered to take Linux courses and they will start on Wed. In 2 DAYS! We already ordered 2 new servers To install LINUX. hehehe... i started thinking what should we use these servers for and how much money we LOST!!!

Good one.

by Daniel Denev -

смях   A Moodle like project that use the Microsoft® .NET platform ASP.NET C#  MS SQL  ...  and has modular object oriented architectule ... [modules, panels, formats]

Moodle.NET Discussion

SF.net

BEST.NET

Wake-Up Call ... Bzzzz.... намигане

by Vu Hung -
I'm a fool too. I was going to install .NET Framework on my server .big grin
In reply to Vu Hung

by Martín Langhoff -

Oh, it's actually quite easy on Debian, just do

apt-get install dotnet

and it will just work. No stress wink

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I believe by default

apt-get install dotnet

will include the stress package.

I think you need to specify the --with no stress option for it to work as Martin specifies.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)

by Paolo Porcaro -
well, Martin had me there for 30 seconds only... wink

but that's because i'm an italian jokester and i was well aware of the date big grin

in fact, soon after i finished Martin's last paragraph (the one that read "since microsoft servers are so good, there shouldn't be problems..." big grin) i posted this message on the Italian Forum... [and i tried to be soooo cleeveeer... tongueout just select the second-line-white-text and find out why... . tongueout]

- paul "wise guy" swineherd
[swineherd is the exact translation of my second name...]

[obvoiusly, the original link below pointed to the NEWS FORUM item Martin removed]

Original message

NON ci POSSO CREDEREEEE... triste

\^o^/ che pagliaccione, Martin... date un'occhiata alla data della NEWS e capirete perché... ^__^

Translation [loose]

I CAN'T BEEELLIEEVE it... sad

\^o^/ what a great jokester, Martin... take a better look at the NEWS date and you will understand why... ^__^
In reply to Paolo Porcaro

by Ghassan Geara -
For 5 minutes, i was like in a nightmare... Than i went to this forum and took a deep breath while sending "polite greetings" to Martin. wink

by Mostafa Itani -

Honestly speaking, I was very happy at first.  I am a Microsoft guy with MCSE certification. For 10 minutes I felt indispensable, and was happy to hear that we are moving to .Net framework, especially Martin used the correct Microsoft marketing language. Another time Martin reconsider the idea.

Mostafa