Site admin presets in Moodle 4.0

Site admin presets in Moodle 4.0

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 22
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi everyone,

As part of our drive to make Moodle easier to use, Moodle 4.0 will include a tool, Site admin presets, for switching between different site admin configurations. You can also create your own site admin preset to share or reuse.

The feature is based on the additional plugin Admin presets, created by David Monllaó and maintained by Pimenko. Many thanks to Pimenko for helping with 4.0 feature development. smile

For further details, including info on the default presets Starter and Full, please see the dev docs page Site admin presets.

If you're interested in trying out Site admin presets, please go to siteadminpresets.prototype.moodledemo.net. Feedback and suggested improvements are always welcome!

Average of ratings: Useful (11)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Site admin presets in Moodle 4.0

by Michael Aherne -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Helen, that's a really nice feature! I think my main feedback would be that it's not very clear how you see what settings are in each preset. I realise now that it's shown when you click apply but I wouldn't have clicked that if it wasn't a demo server smile Would it be worth changing it to "review settings and apply" or something like that?
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Michael Aherne

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. smile

We changed the text from 'Apply' to 'Apply...' to indicate that there is another page before the preset is applied, however I think you're right that it would be clearer having 'Review settings and apply'.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Michael Aherne -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks, Helen smile I noticed a similar issue with the "restore this version" functionality in version history. I can't see a way to view what's in the version and what will be applied if I click the button, and there's no confirmation step. It does show me what was changed after I press restore but that seems like the wrong way round to me.
In reply to Michael Aherne

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Michael!

Thanks a lot for the feedback and nice ideas!! In that particular case, that's the expected workflow from the original plugin and I can understand why it was designed like this:
  • This option restores a preset that has been applied previously by the admin. So if you use this feature is because you want to revert something that you know didn't work for your Moodle site.
  • With the restore this version feature, no data is lost because, if you revert a preset and then you realise it was a mistake, you can re-apply it again (and your Moodle site configuration will be again the same as before reverting it).
However, feel free to create an issue in the tracker if you still think it should be reviewed/improved at any point smile You know how much we love hearing from the community and creating issues in the tracker and getting some votes/comments on them, is the best way to get some progress and help Moodle to be better smile

Kind regards!
Sara
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Sara Arjona Téllez

by Michael Aherne -
Thanks Sara, that makes sense to me! I think if I understood that it could be reverted back again it wouldn't be a problem so it seems sound as it it smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Helen,

This is very good news, since this has been a plugin I have installed for years on new sites I review and build.

Suggestions for the Starter Pack settings:

1) Plugins / Enrolments / Manage enrol plugins > "Disable Guest access"

This is vitally important: it is the first thing I do to new sites, always. Starter users not only don't understand how Guest works, but believe it to be entirely innocuous and are unaware of the potential danger. They are often horrified when they find out how it really works and how easy it would be for a course Teacher out of ignorance to enable this in their courses. Likewise:

2) Plugins / Enrolments / Manage enrol plugins / Guest access > Disable "Add instance to new courses"

Same thing. Even if disabled, adding it to new courses by default is potentially dangerous. This should be an informed decision made by admin with some understanding, so I don't think it belongs in the Starter pack. Related:

3) Plugins / Authentication / Manage authentication > Guest login button = Hide.

This is the best default rather than the current default of Show. Again, enabling Guest access should be an informed, carefully considered decision and in a Starter pack all these settings should be disabled. (And personally I think they should all be off by default in core too.)

4) Plugins / Activity modules / Manage activities > Disable ...Lesson.

I would certainly not agree that Lesson should be excluded from the Starter pack. All the others yes but Lesson is a vital activity that users should know about right away and is unique to Moodle unlike the usual generic things all LMS/VLEs have like forum, quiz, etc. It gives a good pedagogical option right away that can help avoid the "bag of files" pedagogy in most courses.

5) Plugins / Availability restrictions / Manage restrictions > Hide Grouping, User profile.

I would certainly enable user profile, it is a very useful setting, especially in companies where user profile fields for departments, etc, are important and filled in. Anyone getting into using access restrictions will want to know from the start that this is a possible to use even if they don't use it right away. I agree on hiding Grouping which is clearly an advanced topic however.

6) Plugins / Filters / Manage filters >

I would add Disable "Display emoticons as images" which is on by default. Everyone over the age of 12 finds this annoying. It is only useful on sites for younger kids.

7) Advanced features

Is there a reason why "Allow stealth activities" still defaults to off in Advanced features? It's been around now since Moodle 3.3. I always turn it on. Otherwise, I think this is a good list of settings for real Starters. I would personally always leave Badges and Tags enabled, but I see why there is a case for turning those off in a Starter pack.

Reviewing the XML file from the test site and it looks the same as the list on the doc page.

Thanks

Randy
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

It's not easy to decide what is of basic use and what should be considered as advanced, because everybody has it's use and point of view.

I agree with Randy for settings related to Guest access. But for the other points, i understand they are not of simple use, and should be reserved for advanced user/use.

The point is that, not viewing things don't encourage to use them, when you simply don't know it exists. But too much things can be discouraging.

I think it's the admin job to explain what could be possible, and enabled, if of use. I implies admin well knows what can be possible, event if not activated. Easy for old Moodle admins who knows Moodle well, not for beginners.

Perhaps a message should be displayed for admin (a user tour ?) explaining that lot of things are disabled (for simpler use), and he should have a look at the whole existing settings to determine if other things should be enabled.

Séverin
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Randy Thornton -
Séverin,

Yes, I agree with you. I've been configuring new sites now for about 11 years and the key issue is always as you say, "The point is that, not viewing things don't encourage to use them, when you simply don't know it exists. But too much things can be discouraging." Where that line is depends a great deal on the prior experience of the admin.

However, I strongly believe in erring on the site of leaving potentially useful things - especially for teachers - enabled rather than disabled. Admins, especially new admins who are already overwhelmed with other work, forget immediately once something has been turned off and often don't remember it exists. And instructors will never know something is possible if they don't see it or know it is there. But, on the other hand, I believe in turning potentially dangerous things off - Guest, blogs, search engine settings - until people really understand those.

One thing I think can really be expanded is the questions asked in a new install. For example, Moodle now asks if you want another language and whether you want to enable Self registration. A Wizard like this that a new admin could run -after- the install to guide them through some things would be a good way to do this: if you added that to a Starter pack, it would solve this issue to some degree. The issue with Tours is you can't do anything with them: it's just information. A Wizard could actually adjust the settings.

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Randy,

I didn't knew these new questions at Moodle install, nice thing sourire

Yes, a wizard like that would be very useful. There was a discussion recently about this kind of thing for an assignment wizard.

Séverin

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Randy and Séverin!

Thanks for your useful comments about the project! We love hearing from you! :-*

Regarding the installation wizard, we have good news for you:
  • For Moodle 4.0 we're planning to add a $CFG setting (and also a CLI option), to let admins choose the preset to be applied during the installation. This parameter will only work during the installation process and will support a preset name (for instance, "Starter") or the path for an XML file (with a preset to be imported and then applied). More information can be found in MDL-73145.
  • For Moodle 4.1, we're planning to add a new screen in the installation wizard to let admins choose the preset to be installed. More information in MDL-73108.

As usual, feel free to comment, vote or whatever in these tracker issues wink
Cheers!
Sara
Average of ratings: Useful (7)

by Randy Thornton -
Séverin,

I had not seen that discussion about an Assignment wizard. That would be very useful: Assignment and Quiz both have a very large number of settings that would certainly benefit, especially for new teachers or course designers, from a wizard.

Right now, I teach people to make a "template" of such activities with all the settings they need and so give each "template" a name. Then import and duplicate it in new courses. A wizard would be a good teaching tool.

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Randy,

we’re currently in the ideation phase for the mentioned wizard - if you’re interested, feel free to reach out to discuss the requirements!

We’re super open for feedback and ideas from people with different backgrounds.

The current idea is to re-use parts of the presets feature in mod_Pulse for the first release. Future releases would then bring something like a real „wizard“ with questions that guide the teacher to the correct preset. We’re also thinking about something like a „catalogue” if presets which the teacher can narrow down using filters.

All the best
Stefan
In reply to Stefan Scholz

by Randy Thornton -
Stefan,

Thanks for the invitation. I really like the ideas you have for this. Once the holidays are over I will get back to you.

by Helen Foster -

Hi Randy,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions for improving the Starter preset. smile

I agree about disabling guest access and the guest login button. Regarding your other suggestions, I think the same as Séverin - that they are better left disabled in the Starter preset. However, we will discuss all suggestions in our development team and have created MDL-73248 for improving the Starter preset.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Randy Thornton -
Helen,

Thanks. I think Guest access should be in the starter set. The others are just suggestions from my experience. I do make my own sets anyway to get what I need, so no worries smile

Thanks again.

Re: Site admin presets in Moodle 4.0 - Starter preset improvements

by Helen Foster -

Thanks again to everyone who suggested improvements to the Starter preset. Please see MDL-73248 for details of the settings and plugins that we are going to change.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Sylvain Revenu -
Hello,

It's also a pleasure for us to be able to work and benefit from your experience on Moodle smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Adam Jenkins -
This is a very cool feature. The starter setting will no doubt make navigating Moodle easier for beginners, but one thing seems to miss the mark: everyone is on their own timeline. For example, the faculty at my university, far from being homogeneous, has roughly 10 profs who would benefit from the Starter preset, another 40 or so who are fairly proficient at doing what they want to do, and another 20 who would definitely qualify for the full preset. Where should I set my Moodle?

Written in the style of the page: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Site_admin_presets

As an admin:
  1. I want to set several presets that can be granted to teachers at different points on their Moodle empowerment journey
  2. I want to set "completion criteria" that, when reached, moves the teacher to the next preset up (eventually reaching the full preset)
Imagine if a teacher, new to Moodle could have their journey scaffolded so that they can unlock additional features as they become more familiar with the system. No information overload at the beginning, and a gamified system of unlocking more advanced features to both ease teachers into using these features AND to provide teachers with the motivation to explore Moodle more.

That'd be swell, I think...
In reply to Adam Jenkins

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I agree that being able to adjust the visual interface available to Teachers depending on their level of expertise is a nice feature. I made an attempt to achieve this by defining two levels of Teacher role, Standard and Simplified. The role description for the Simplified teacher in Moodle 3.9 is attached as an XML file you can import, if interested. I mainly removed the ability to add some of the more complex activities like Database and Workshop.

In the end though, I didn't use it much because: a) I don't know enough about the ~400 lecturers who use the LMS to be able to categorise them into Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced; and b) classifying people like this is a quick way to annoy them. From an administrative perspective, the role has to be applied in each course to which the lecturer is enrolled, so it's not very practical really.

A mechanism (wizard?) that allowed a Teacher (or Student) to choose their interface level might work, if framed/phrased well, e.g.

• "I'm new to Moodle, show me the Essential interface. I'll change it later."
  • "I'm quite familiar with Moodle, show me the Advanced interface."
  • "I'm an expert, show me the Complete interface. (Warning: this adds lots of complicated and little-used features)"
As far as I can tell, nearly all the underlying building blocks needed to implement this type of facility are already present in Moodle. The only thing that's missing is a user interface that offers users  the ability to choose the interface level. The "Site admin preset" offers a template as to how this could be implemented.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Nilesh Pathade -
This is very nice feature with Moodle 4+

Can you help me to understand,? Can we reuse or share all define roles capability and themes too ?
As per my understanding we can reuse all activity and resourse and site level configuration we can do it.

please suggest if we can customized it to reuse roles and there capability too.