Assignments submitted by member of "Default" group

Assignments submitted by member of "Default" group

by Elisabeth Atems -
Number of replies: 3

First, I am sorry but I cannot tell which version of Moodle I am using as the site administrator appears to have removed all links to that information. I hope it is not relevant to my question.

My question is about the behavior of assignments submitted by a student in the Default group who is later placed in a named group. Do they continue to "belong" to the Default group, or to the "new" group the submitter is placed in, or to both?

Before anyone aims a criticism my way for not setting "Require group to make submissions" to Yes, that is my normal procedure, but on one occasion I forgot to do so, and a student (say, A) who was never placed in a group ended up with a certain named group's (G01) submission attached to his name.

I am trying to determine if this situation could have come about because a member of group G01submitted his report while still in the Default group, i.e., before being placed in the named group. Student A was the only student left in the Default group by the time I became aware of the situation.

Thank you for any help you can provide on this question.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elisabeth Atems

Re: Assignments submitted by member of "Default" group

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
You can answer this yourself. If the assignment is now also attached to G01 and still to default then that is how it works. I suspect however, that the assignment is probably only attached to the group that the submitter was joined to at the time of submission.
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Elisabeth Atems -
I can't really answer this myself without moving a student currently in a named group into the Default group, and I'm a bit nervous about doing that, even temporarily, since I don't know whether the effects of doing that are 100% reversible.

If you are correct, that the assignment is only attached to the group to which the submitter belonged at the time of submission, then the student in the Default group somehow obtained the report and submitted it dishonestly. That is what I am trying to determine. The report is definitely attached to G01, but the question is whether it is ALSO attached to the Default group. If it is, then the student in the Default group is likely innocent and I do not want to accuse him of cheating without knowing whether it is possible that the report was originally submitted before the submitter was moved into G01.

But thank you for your reply. Initially I had difficulty posting this because when I tried to edit a minor typo, the system said my post had been blocked as possibly containing spam. So I wasn't certain whether it was visible to anyone else.
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Elisabeth Atems -
Ok, I think I understand now. When I switched my own role temporarily to Student, I saw that I was in the Default group and the submission was shown as my own submission (i.e., that of my group). So this submission is definitely attached to the Default group.

However, although it is identical to this submission, the file attached to G01 was submitted *separately*, a day later, according to the timestamps. Also, looking back at my email exchange with G01's student representative, it appears that the student informed me of his group membership at 3:53 pm, and then per the timestamp, the Default group submission was made 2 minutes later, at 3:55. I did not move his G01 group into the grouping for that assignment until 7:30pm on the same day. So my guess is that the same student submitted the report immediately without waiting for my reply (which except for my error he could not have done), and that you are correct, that the original submission remained attached to the Default group. The student likely found the next day that his file was no longer in the submission box, and submitted it again.

Thus, the one remaining student still in the Default group is almost certainly innocent of any academic dishonesty in this matter.

In a previous thread, someone opined that the "Require group to make submissions" setting is a design flaw. I agree. At the very least, its default setting should NOT be "no", once one has set "Students submit in groups" to "yes", unless that setting has very different semantics than it does now. I cannot imagine a situation where it would be desirable for a submission by a student who is not a member of a named group to be attached to ALL students who are not members of a named group. And my experience here shows, I think, how easy it is with the current semantics to accidentally bring about a situation where the actual history of submissions is very difficult to trace, and might even make it appear that an innocent student has cheated. I could not have figured this out without the emails between myself and the G01 student, since there is (AFAIK) no timestamp telling when a group was moved into a grouping.

Perhaps instead of having a Default group, the semantics of "Require group to make submissions" = "no" should be that each submission by a student not in a named group belongs only to that student? Just a suggestion for a future release.